10ish week old Chicks with eye issues, very worried

Propel92

Hatching
Feb 9, 2022
I was tending to my chicks today and noticed at least 2 of them have weird eye issues. Google has me absolutely freaked out. I don’t have any idea what to do. The cuckoo colored chick has issues with both eyes, the other chick only seems to have problems with the one eye. I’m not sure if there are more with problems, it got dark before I could look at them all. What can I do? My chickens all share a run and my entire flock could be infected if this is something infectious. These chicks were born here.
F23EACB0-8AEC-4AD8-BE62-A2CB3CD4DDF8.jpeg

Attachments

• 8ACB5051-A27D-4C72-BB01-AB1D7D0CE11C.jpeg
    8ACB5051-A27D-4C72-BB01-AB1D7D0CE11C.jpeg
    531 KB · Views: 1
  • 41FFD738-8833-40F0-A5DA-DA668707AF49.jpeg
    41FFD738-8833-40F0-A5DA-DA668707AF49.jpeg
    534 KB · Views: 1
Have you seen any sneezing, nasal drainage, congestion, or are they acting lethargic? The bubbles could be a sign of pecked eyes, or possibly the early signs of MG, a chronic respiratory disease. I would clean the eyes with saline eye wash, and if you can get Terramycin eye ointment, apply a dab to eye twice a day. Plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment can be used if you cannot get Terramycin. If symptoms get worse, you should try to get some Tylan or Tylosin to treat for MG.

I really hope it isn’t, but it looks like a respiratory disease. Have they shown any other symptoms- sneezing, gasping, discharge, coughing, etc.?

@azygous | @Eggcessive | @Wyorp Rock
Yes, I went out last night to isolate them and I heard one breathing raspy. I isolated 7 birds total. I was told that it might be fowl pox. I plan on treating with Tylan 50 or orally with an antibiotic that starts with a “o”. Oxy something.

Oxytetracycline is also one that treats MG. MG is a chronic disease that remains with a chicken for life. There may never be another outbreak, but some may get symptoms or bubbles in eyes later on. Tylan 50 injectable, which can be given orally to chickens by removing the needle from the syringe, is sometimes found in feed stores. Dosage is 0.25 ml per pound given 3 times a day. Tylosin powder for the water is available here without a prescription:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder

Back
Top Bottom