2 week old chick can't close eyes which causes things to stick to his eyes

suwupra

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2024
so i have this baby chick (serama i believe) who's eyes look a little different from the rest. i don't know how to describe it but it's subtly shaped different. maybe it wasn't formed correctly? anyways, when he sleeps, his eyes doesn't close fully. i think this has caused him to not be able to lubricate his eyes or something because he's always getting crusty eyes and things such as feed literally get stuck in his eyes and he cant remove it himself. he TRIES with his feet but i dont want him to risk getting eye infections. and because of this, he tends to isolate himself from the rest of the chicks, and he can be a bit lethargic sometimes. anyone know what i can do?? we've applied some eye ointment to it and it has helped with the crustiness but that's all. i can't find any info about this condition, i only can find info about chicks who can't open their eyes

You could try rinsing his eyes out with a saline solution and see if you can see anything wrong. If you don't have any, you can make it easy enough, just ask or google it. If that in itself doesn't fix it, I'd get some terramycin ointment as that's meant for eye infections.

Back
Top Bottom