11-12 week old chickens eating ALOT of chicken starter

Dirtroadboho

In the Brooder
May 5, 2022
Helloooo!!
My 11-12 week old chickens are eating a TON of starter feed. I know the bag says 18 weeks to switch to big chick feed, but has anyone switched sooner?
Would this fill them up more?
They do get a supplemental diet of Treats (Treats for chickens chicken crack) fruits and veggies.
Thanks in advance!!
💛

Are you sure they are eating it? What type of feeder are you using? Chick are notorious for scratching feed out of the feeder. I usually switch to a trough type feeder at that age so they can't spoon and scratch feed out.

Switching feed won't slow consumption as it will probably be a lower protein ration and they will eat more. What are they currently getting?

I was wondering the same thing, are they flicking it out with beak or scratching out of the feeder. My adults STILL flick out the top layer of feed sometimes to the ground and then "scratch and peck" like chickens do.

They’re eating it. Their feeder is pretty hard to flick food out of. I’m just wondering if anyone has. Switched earlier.

I have and it's fine. I feed them layer feed with the rest of my flock since they free range all day.
I wish I could free range them all day but until I can build a covered run I keep them in the coop and their smaller run until evening when I can be outside with them. We’ve had a few close encounters with hawks

I guess my question really is if switched to a layer feed would they eat less? If not, then I will keep them on starter feed until 18 weeks

Back
Top Bottom