1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

11 Hens, Missing Tail Feathers, 9 Eggs, Rooster?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joshuajjones, Mar 18, 2017.

1. joshuajjones

joshuajjones New Egg

Mar 18, 2017
    So I have had my chickens for about a year. I have 11 hens of five different varieties but I have never had a single day that has produced 11 eggs. I do not have any crowing in the morning but I am just starting to realize that eight or nine of my hens are missing tail feathers and as I was watching some videos of chickens mating and it seemed like they had lost tailfeathers during the mating process. No aggressive behavior and no noticeable difference in the headwear. Do you think I have a rooster?

2. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]

Can you post pictures of all of your chickens? I think you would be able to tell if one looked different, but a 2nd opinion is always good. Also, roosters don't always crow just in the morning.
    The missing feathers could be due to something else, though.
    Anyway, I'll look at the photos and I can tell you if you have a rooster.
    -M

3. peopleRanimals2

peopleRanimals2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    Rhode Island
    [​IMG]
    This is a photo of my rooster at a couple months old. Maybe 4 ish. Notice the tail? That's what you'll start to see in a rooster. If you compare the tail to the tail of my BR, in the foreground, you can see a difference.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Depending on the breeds of your birds production levels can vary considerably and getting 9 eggs a day out of 11 birds is actually very good. Generally speaking, even the most productive breeds average only 6 eggs a week, so getting an egg out of every bird on any given day is not the "norm". Also, missing feathers *can* result from mating, but there are many other potential causes that have nothing to do with gender.
    If you post some photos of your flock we can help you assess gender - as well as offer some input on the missing feathers.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    [​IMG]

There is no way of knowing, without seeing pictures of your flock. I have roosters, and my hens still have their tail feathers. You may want to check your chickens for lice or mites. Not every chicken will lay an egg every single day. I don't always have the same amount of eggs as I do hens every day, either. When you get a chance, post some good, quality pictures of your flock (good, clear pictures of head, combs, wattles, hackle feathers and saddle feathers will be helpful.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by