11 Mo. Hen sick and not improving… please advise!!

Same pullet that was not laying eggs way back in August?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/br-hasn’t-laid-in-two-weeks.1595443/#post-27117752

How did you dose the Safeguard Pellets? That would be interesting to find out. Most people do not use those, they use Safeguard Liquid Goat dewormer and dose the bird orally by weight, much more efficient and don't have to rely on the bird eating something they may not eat.
What type of worms did you see in her poop?

I'd go with giving the vitamin therapy and see if she improves. I agree, she may have an avian virus at play as suggested, but it's worth giving the vitamins.
If she's not laid an egg or had had a history of problems laying eggs, I'd feel of her abdomen below the vent between her legs for any bloat or fluid.

You're going to try Corid and Baytril next. IF you give the Corid, then omit extra vitamins that contain B1(Thiamine).
Corid treats Coccidiosis.
Baytril is a powerful antibiotic.
👇
Hi there! I gave her 10 g in 1.5 lbs. of feed and have that to her over the following 5 days. So that’s making the assumption that she eats about 1/4 lb. Feed per day. She finished all of the feed an about 5 to 6 days. The worms that I saw in her poop looked like white little pebbles… that moved 🤢 they weren’t long or stringy… she didn’t have any diarrhea or anything.
She’s been inside for the past 11 days and she’s laid 3 eggs… her middle one was a little odd looking. Shell was rippled. I thought at one point she was going egg bound so I gave her a soak and got her outside in my backyard for some movement. Don’t know if that helped but she laid an egg shortly after that. That was two days ago… yes this is the same pullet from that above post. Poor baby I feel like she’s just susceptible. If I can get her through this is there some type of regiment I can keep her on to keep her immunity up? When my chickens got fowl pox earlier in the year, she was the one that got it the worst in my opinion.

I've never heard that before, interesting.
What's her diet? Limping is often a sign of nutritional deficiency.
She is on a combo of layer crumbles mixed with feather fixer pellets and the following herbs: red pepper flake, granulated garlic, oregano, thyme and parsley.

Update: She didn’t seem to be eating as much yesterday… she did poop but not as much as normal… she was in her cage inside most of the day since I had to run errands yesterday. So I’m hoping that’s it? I will get her out for some exercise today and see if that improves her appetite. I did give her Corid and Baytril yesterday evening but now that I’ve read all of the wonderful replies (thank you so much!) now I’m not really sure what to do?
Do I go the route of vitamins and supplements to see if that helps her?
Can I take her off the Corid and Baytril once I already started?

The worms that I saw in her poop looked like white little pebbles… that moved 🤢 they weren’t long or stringy… she didn’t have any diarrhea or anything.

I did give her Corid and Baytril yesterday evening but now that I’ve read all of the wonderful replies (thank you so much!) now I’m not really sure what to do?
Do I go the route of vitamins and supplements to see if that helps her?
Can I take her off the Corid and Baytril once I already started?
Moving white pebbles sounds like Tapeworms which would need to be treated with Praziquantel. Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is not likely going to treat those.

You can find Equimax at TSC. Dosing is in this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Do you see any more of those white moving things in her poop? If so, then I'd deworm her using Equimax.

As for using the Safeguard Pellets, to me, the dosing you used is too low, but I haven't really ran the math on a calculator, just shot some numbers around in the Geezer Brain.
Read this thread for the Pellets: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-the-dosage-for-wormer.1607333/#post-27390458

This is what Tapeworm Proglottids look like on chicken poop

Moving white pebbles sounds like Tapeworms which would need to be treated with Praziquantel. Fenbendazole (Safeguard) is not likely going to treat those.

You can find Equimax at TSC. Dosing is in this link.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/treating-tapeworms-under-construction.1220309/

Do you see any more of those white moving things in her poop? If so, then I'd deworm her using Equimax.

As for using the Safeguard Pellets, to me, the dosing you used is too low, but I haven't really ran the math on a calculator, just shot some numbers around in the Geezer Brain.
Read this thread for the Pellets: https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-the-dosage-for-wormer.1607333/#post-27390458

This is what Tapeworm Proglottids look like on chicken poop
Thank you so much!! She doesn’t have any more worms visible in her poop… she isn’t really pooping in the last few days because she isn’t really eating… trying to figure out what to feed her so she will eat. She picks every now and then but sore t show much interest… she’s still drinking water so I’m putting nutri drench in her water to get her some nutrition.

Back
Top Bottom