How in the heck do you figure out the dosage for wormer?

CochinFancy

Chirping
Aug 3, 2019
I bought safeguard pellets. Poultry DVM says chickens should have 50mg for 5 days. Well that works out to be .002 of an ounce for each chicken. I have 20 chickens and did the math. That doesn’t make any sense, how can you have 4% of an ounce for all 20 chickens?

How in the heck does anyone feed this?!

I wanted to use the pellets because there is no way I can catch and liquid worm all 20 of them. There’s no way to use these at all?
I use the liquid safeguard stuff too but I just add it to their water. No way I'm chasing down all of my chickens and shoving something into their mouths.

Thanks everybody. I ended up just using the liquid goat wormer and mixing it in my feed
That's what I would have done. How much did you mix in the feed?

I bought safeguard pellets. Poultry DVM says chickens should have 50mg for 5 days. Well that works out to be .002 of an ounce for each chicken. I have 20 chickens and did the math. That doesn’t make any sense, how can you have 4% of an ounce for all 20 chickens?

How in the heck does anyone feed this?!
How much one uses would depend on what worms they want to treat. The pellets are 0.5% fenbendazole, which means that there are 5 mg of fenbendazole in one gram of the pellets.

One gram of pellets = 0.05ml of the liquid Safeguard.

One pound of this contains 2270 mg of fenbendazole. Using the liquid, that's 22.7 ml.
1703698027245.png

That's what I would have done. How much did you mix in the feed?

How much one uses would depend on what worms they want to treat. The pellets are 0.5% fenbendazole, which means that there are 5 mg of fenbendazole in one gram of the pellets.

One gram of pellets = 0.05ml of the liquid Safeguard.

One pound of this contains 2270 mg of fenbendazole. Using the liquid, that's 22.7 ml.
View attachment 3713290
I gave about .5 of a ML and split it between all of my birds. I believe I need to do it again a few days later as some of the birds did not allow the others to eat very much

Back
Top Bottom