11* outside and no rooster crowing yet

Backyard Bruce

Songster
Apr 11, 2018
Sullivan County, N.Y.
Well it’s 7am, 11* outside
The pop door has been open 1/2 hour and there was no movement. He’s usually up and about by now.

So of course I quickly go out to check and they’re all just now coming down off the roost.

The cockerel looks at me through the window and gives a hearty doodle do.

It’ll be right at 1* tonight, probably going to bother me more than them.

Wet warm food in freezing temps not a great idea, IMO, especially if it's warm enough to 'steam'. Nice for us humans, about to make some for myself, but doesn't benefit chickens.

How does warm oatmeal in a run not benefit chickens? Please elaborate, it's nice to read facts behind opinions.

Ok @aart, I waited an hour for your response, none to be found, but then you critiqued something about my run with no facts to back it up.

Last edited:
How does warm oatmeal in a run not benefit chickens? Please elaborate, it's nice to read facts behind opinions.
More logic and common sense than proven fact,
not sure a study's been done on such.

Take your bowl of warm oatmeal outside, hold the bowl very close to your face, feel the moisture..see the 'steam'? Now take it away and put your face in the wind, that wet is chilly, eh?

Now take a bite, just using your mouth...are your wattles wet?
Oh, well, that's not a very good analogy. Never mind.

A bowl of warm oatmeal makes us humans feel good(literally and/or figuratively) on a cold day, to think that the chickens feel the same is anthropomorphizing, IMO.

@bobbi-j has a great analogy about humans thinking chickens need heat in their coop,
thought I had saved that but can't find it...maybe she will chime in.

More logic and common sense than proven fact,
not sure a study's been done on such.

Take your bowl of warm oatmeal outside, hold the bowl very close to your face, feel the moisture..see the 'steam'? Now take it away and put your face in the wind, that wet is chilly, eh?

Now take a bite, just using your mouth...are your wattles wet?
Oh, well, that's not a very good analogy. Never mind.

A bowl of warm oatmeal makes us humans feel good(literally and/or figuratively) on a cold day, to think that the chickens feel the same is anthropomorphizing, IMO.

@bobbi-j has a great analogy about humans thinking chickens need heat in their coop,
thought I had saved that but can't find it...maybe she will chime in.

Warming the core is my goal. A little steam in a non windy run is no different than ones own breath. What happens when a chicken gets a drink?

There's a handful of nitt picky members here whom will dissect and critique anything that is put up here. Over and out

Warming the core is my goal. A little steam in a non windy run is no different than ones own breath. What happens when a chicken gets a drink?

There's a handful of nitt picky members here whom will dissect and critique anything that is put up here. Over and out
Just my opinion...and my sense of humor is lost on most.

Back
Top Bottom