11 turned out to be boys out of 14 😩

ShelbyD91

Chirping
Mar 23, 2022
We have 14 mystic onyx SR chicks from Hoovers hatchary. They are only about 5 weeks old but are starting to show their gender. 11 of them have way bigger combs and legs than the other 3 and trying to strut their dominance. I’m scared that I have a ton of males. I was expecting around half to be male but not this many. My question is- can I contact Hoovers and maybe get a female or 2 or are they just going to tell me too bad so sad? I totally understand that was a risk I was taking buying straight run, but 11 boys? 😅🤷‍♀️
Sorry if this is a dumb question, I’m pretty new.

Straight run is always a risk, but wow! Let us know what, if anything, Hoover does.
I will. Pickensandchigs said they have good customer service so I’m hopeful lol. I sent them an email but I’m super non confrontational so I told them what happened and that I was upset but didn’t ask if they could do anything.

Some hatchies put surplus roosters in the "unsexed" bin after filling a pullets order. In those cases you're more likely to get roosters.. if the game's not rigged, and I suspect Hoovers does it right.. then you had terrible luck. In such cases of terrible luck... example: 10% or more dead chicks within 48 hours, Hoovers will refund or replace.

Some hatchies put surplus roosters in the "unsexed" bin after filling a pullets order. In those cases you're more likely to get roosters.. if the game's not rigged, and I suspect Hoovers does it right.. then you had terrible luck. In such cases of terrible luck... example: 10% or more dead chicks within 48 hours, Hoovers will refund or replace.
You are full of info and I’m soaking ALL of it up. Thank you!

You are full of info and I’m soaking ALL of it up. Thank you!

Oh no, I'm no expert. I've just bet quite a bit of money on the idea of buying unsexed chicks. So far it has worked well for me.

When you're looking at a box of 200 chicks, considering the fact that you could have 200 roosters crowing in a few months.. you'll do all kinds of research. Haha

Back
Top Bottom