11-week & 22-week-old chicks--which feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sarahandbray, Oct 25, 2014.

1. sarahandbray

sarahandbray Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2014
    We have been feeding our 11-week-old chicks as per the directions off the back of the Du-Mor bag at TSC. They just moved off of Grower/Starter to whatever the second step is this week (Grower/Finisher?).
    Because I'm terribly impatient, I found 10 pullets of 20 & 22 weeks that we successfully introduced to the flock.
    What should I feed them all? The new girls are White Leghorn and Golden Comet and they just started laying. Should I move the whole flock up to "Layer" or keep them all on the "Finisher?"
    I have 45 chickens total.
    I did add Oyster Shells to the hopper next to the grit, so they have access to that.
    Thanks!
    And here's just a couple of pics for good measure...VERY pleased with the Golden Comets size and eggs...but being 22-weeks, they've been a bit bullyish to my younger ones...I'm sure they'll work it out. [​IMG]

2. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    [​IMG]

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Layer feed is not appropriate for any bird not actively laying - the extra calcium afforded the laying hen from this feed causes renal damage in birds who are not excreting the calcium by shelling eggs. Feed the flock a grower feed and offer free choice calcium (ie oyster shell) in a separate dish for those birds that are laying and will need it.

4. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Perfect! Thank you--I'll continue with the feed I just switched them to this week. Oyster shell is already out and available for them, so this should be ok, right?

5. sarahandbray

Aug 12, 2014
    Will the percentage of protein in the finisher/grower feed be too high for the laying hens? I really don't have any way of separating the just-laying hens from the 11-week-old chicks.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Not at all - in fact there are benefits to be had from using the higher protein feed which is why so many folks choose it over a layer ration.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by