11 week old packing peanuts causing problems

bigoakhunter

Songster
10 Years
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
I recieved 5 packing peanuts, ( roos) with my pullet order. They are now 11 weeks old and causing problems. Suddenly they are crowing , bullying, pecking at hens on the roost, not letting others out when poop door is opened in morning. It went from a happy coop and run to chaos in a matter of days. One of the aueracana hens is so terrorized she has been found hiding between waterer and wall several times in last 2 days.

So it looks like the roos are going to be cornish hen sized bbq shortly.....

I did not think it would get so bad so fast and at only 11weeks.

I put all my extras in a "bachelor pad" They all had already established pecking order, and without the hens to fight over, they got along ok. It wasn't real big, but they had about 10 sq feet each, and were only in there about 6 weeks, long enough to get a little more meat on their bones. And the hens loved it.

My five roos went to the big freezer.....they will be bbq in the next weeks. The hens already act calmer the first afternoon without the roos.

wink.png
We put our extra roos in a "bachelor pad" and our hens are so much happier. I had one of my EE's was their favorite to pick on. So, they will be going to freezer camp.
Angie

Back
Top Bottom