11 week old pullets

Tamcarey

In the Brooder
May 28, 2022
Hi all, wondering how high is too high for my roosts. I have a shelf and roost bar but it’s about 3 feet off the ground. Is this too high to place my pullets up there and expect them to use a ramp to get down?
IMG_7725.jpeg

They may use the ramp if you decrease the angle, but most likely they will fly down. Deep bedding will help eliminate the possibility of leg/foot injuries.
Thank you! I was wondering about the steepness of the ramp. I have sand in there now. I can throw some bedding in there too just in case. I just got them last night. They are huddling together in a corner. Would you suggest I go in at night and place them on the roost?

Thank you! I was wondering about the steepness of the ramp. I have sand in there now. I can throw some bedding in there too just in case. I just got them last night. They are huddling together in a corner. Would you suggest I go in at night and place them on the roost?
Our highest roosts are 6' tall, with alternating roosts every 2 feet. For a total of 6 roosts. Even at your age, they will jump from roost to roost until they get to their desired position, no ramps, and the top roosts are full every night.

Our highest roosts are 6' tall, with alternating roosts every 2 feet. For a total of 6 roosts. Even at your age, they will jump from roost to roost until they get to their desired position, no ramps, and the top roosts are full every night.
Thank you!

Ramp should be less than 45 degrees in steepness, in the photo it's more like 60 or 70.

There's a second bar behind the one over the poop tray, is that still there? The placement of that is problematic.
Removed the bar behind it and spaced another lower roost. Also removed the ramp.

Removed the bar behind it and spaced another lower roost. Also removed the ramp.
Excellent

I looked again at the first picture and noticed the caulk gun. Make sure you use that sparingly and make it super as to where it won't draw their attention. Like styrofoam and insulation, chickens love to eat caulk. Which obviously is not in a healthy nutrition plan.

Back
Top Bottom