11 weeks, no eggs

My girls shut down in winter because of the cold at times, but they do respond to treats and than wallah a egg or two for thanks.

I have 5 Buff Orppingtons that have not laid a single egg in 11 weeks, since the beginning of November. We had a sudden change in the temperatures and a snow storm at Halloween then started construction on an addition about 25 feet from the coop. Nothing else about their food, water or habitat has changed. Could the change in temperatures coupled with the noise of the construction have caused stress that in turn caused them to stop laying? I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts or advice?

I also had a long period of no laying this year. Stress can affect them easily. Mine had seen some of their cohort killed by raccoons, and then seen the raccoons trapped for relocation. All this after their guard dog died. It took them months to get back to normal. I finally put a fake egg in one laying box and it wasn't too long until they started laying again. Don't know for sure it was the fake egg, but they did get back on track after maybe 2-3 months.

I have 5 Buff Orppingtons that have not laid a single egg in 11 weeks, since the beginning of November. We had a sudden change in the temperatures and a snow storm at Halloween then started construction on an addition about 25 feet from the coop. Nothing else about their food, water or habitat has changed. Could the change in temperatures coupled with the noise of the construction have caused stress that in turn caused them to stop laying? I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts or advice?
It’s the cold and sun..

It’s both the weather and sun.. they use all the energy to stay warm.. and stop laying after the day gets shorter. If u have a streak of warm weather they might lay a day or two..
I put a light in the coop, with timer to come on 430 to sun comes up.. yes am not pm.. tricks them for more light. Younger hens will lay more.. works like a charm..better if a warm streak..

Last edited:
All my ladies molted in November and we just started getting eggs again yesterday. I hate the store bought eggs, they give me bad gas! :lol:

Lol. We just do without if our hens don't give us any! Store bought eggs are just ... unacceptable. This year we haven't had to go completely without, though. I think our lowest count was two.

It’s both the weather and sun.. they use all the energy to stay warm.. and stop laying after the day gets longer. If u have a streak of warm weather they might lay....
I put a light in the coop, with timer to come on 430 to sun up.. yes am not pm.. tricks them for more light. Younger hens will lay more.. works like a charm..better if a warm streak..
All my ladies molted in November and we just started getting eggs again yesterday. I hate the store bought eggs, they give me bad gas! :lol:
they came back from that takes a month. It’s less sunlight.. and if cold to save energy to keep warm..

I have 5 Buff Orppingtons that have not laid a single egg in 11 weeks, since the beginning of November. We had a sudden change in the temperatures and a snow storm at Halloween then started construction on an addition about 25 feet from the coop. Nothing else about their, food water or habitat has changed. Could the change in temperatures coupled with the noise of the construction have caused stress that in turn caused them to stop laying? I'm really at a loss here. Any thoughts or advice?
Mine took nearly 4 months off this winter! Some of them have just started laying again.

Back
Top Bottom