110 degrees today, has anyone lost any chickens in this heat??

I lost a two month old roo about a week ago, wasn't much of a loss except now I only have three roos to choose from.

Lost 3 last month, but * knock wood * none this week, though it is STUPID HOT here and will be all week. The car thermometer said 111.
ep.gif
th.gif

My flock has a good breezy spot in the shade of mature live oaks and hackberries, the ones I lost were younger and in my back yard with only doubled up shade cloth.

Haven't lost any so far, but tonight, I have three older hens in the house who are experiencing breathing problems from this horrible heat/humidity. We've never seen this prolonged super hot/humid summer here in the mountains (usually we have a couple days like this all summer), but this has gone on since May. The birds are being quite affected by it.

So far so good, everyone's still here, but I fret. I have the fans, lots of shade, my girls get priority when there is only enough watermelon for them. They also enjoy cold tomatoes, and their water is changed several times during the day along with the addition of ice. We had a day with the heat index of 114 degrees. That would be ok if it was just for a day or two, but we've had hot the weather for many weeks now. Short of bringing them in, I give alot of attention to my chickens, and if it brings them more comfort, priceless.
love.gif

Lost a young Frizzle ( the one in the front of the photo below) to the heat this evening. She was sitting all puffed up in a hole she dug. Picked her up... she was hot and still. Fed her water and some yogurt. Put her in the ICU (Wire cage on the back porch under the fan) Gone in a matter of hours. Just buried her. RIP Marshmellow
hit.gif

Amazing how these feathered friends find their way into our hearts so easily!
100972_img_3050.jpg

It's hot just about every where. My car themometer said 119. My coop and run is 100. "I've got a swamp cooler going 24/7 in the coop. That's where most of the chickens and ducks are hanging out. The mister is going, the ice is out, 4 wading pools, shade cloth is on and a fan at the end of the run. I haven't lost any "YET" but I worry constantly. I gave out frozen veggies twice today. I figure if they have some cold food in their crop it will help keep them cool. Short of putting an AC in the coop I don't know what else to do. I'm this close to going to get one. I just saw the weather and there is absolutely no relief in sight this week on through next week...and....it looks like the tropical storm is headed up the East coast away from us (Central Texas). Let's pray for rain. The farmers are really hurting. Their animals are hurting/dying. The lakes are drying up and leaving the fish to die on the cracked ground. It's sad, sad, sad! AND heaven help us if someone throws out a cigarette! Good luck everyone!

I've only had my girls a few weeks so I've been terrified of losing them. My little buff got really stressed after the 1st week & I thought she wouldn't make it. I managed to revive her with some chilled oatmeal & pedialyte. I really dont want to bring them in because I do think its important for them to acclimate to both heir new home & hot summertime weather.

We put out or big fan, hubby & ds built a big awning over the run & coop. I put out a couple of frozen plastic bottles of water which they love to roost on & lay by. Luckily they stay out of the coop & hang out in the shade during the day. I also put a wading pool out in the afternoon. Starting yesterday I poured icy water over a basin of sand & they seem to like to snuggle down into that cool damp dustbath. We also have happy hour every afternoon with chilled fruit. They hate misting but I go out & spray them & the run once a day. Mostly I try not to disturb them during the hottest part of the day.

Officially it was 109 at my N TX house today but my thermometer was showing 111.5 when I looked at 4:00. I think it's supposed to be just as hot the rest of the week.
sad.png

Its hotter than three hells with a lid on it here I'm constantly changing the water & adding ice. It suxs . Poor chickens & all birds. Take care of your birds they don't like this heat. They need constant attention. I read thread after thread about cold weather hog wash they can handle the cold but not the heat.

I, too, lost my favorite hen today from the excessive heat. I feel so bad about it and am praying I don't lose anymore. It's supposed to be even hotter tomorrow! Thanks to everyone for their suggestions on keeping the coop cooler.

Back
Top Bottom