110* heat index, 6 day old chicks - too much heat?

imacowgirl2

Songster
Apr 11, 2022
south central IL
Our new chicks will be 6 days old tomorrow, and our hear index is supposed to be 110* with the actual temps hovering at or just above 100*... We are in southern IL so the humidity is also very high. Will our 6 day old chicks be ok in this heat wave or do I need to do something to cool them off? They are in brooder in the coop, which is a modified open air coop, so lots of ventilation but no cross breeze directly on the brooder because of it's placement in the coop. Coop is in the shade all day.

I’m going to hope (assume) you do not have a heat lamp or anything on them (if you happen to, turn it off). It is hotter than it would be with a lamp. One thing I did when ours were babies (we brooded them in our garage the month of August and it would get super hot) was freeze 20oz bottles filled with water and set them in the brooder with them. If they got too hot they could stand near the frozen bottle and it acted like a sort of AC to cool them down.

I’m going to hope (assume) you do not have a heat lamp or anything on them (if you happen to, turn it off). It is hotter than it would be with a lamp. One thing I did when ours were babies (we brooded them in our garage the month of August and it would get super hot) was freeze 20oz bottles filled with water and set them in the brooder with them. If they got too hot they could stand near the frozen bottle and it acted like a sort of AC to cool them down.
No heat source! I will definitely have to get some bottles frozen...

Back
Top Bottom