115 degrees BEFORE the heat index factored! GRAPHIC DESCRIPTION

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Roccomanchickens, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Roccomanchickens

Roccomanchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Carroll, IA
    So, today I got off work early due to the excessive heat warning. Hurried home because I had a terrible feeling about my 27 Cornish X birds. They had a fan and a mister outside the window of their enclosure as well as my SIL came over to give them new water at noon. I wasn't so worried about the laying hens, as they have plently of shade, under the house vents to lay by, water holes, and grass to lay around in.

Got home at 4:30 to find 11 dead, 6 dying and barely alive, and 3 struggling. Two of the laying hens were out in the yard laying on their sides barely able to pant. I sorted out the dead, then put the dying meaties in a tub and started slaughtering. It was horrible; 115 degree heat, not even prepared to process, and still in my work clothes. We were able to kill the 6 before they died and get water boiling to pluck them. Unfortunately, 2 more died in the shelter before I finished processing the 6 and were non salvagable. My squeamish daughter (29 years old) did not even have a chance to run and hide, she got pulled into the slaughter before she realized what was going on.

I have 9 cornish x left (5 weeks old), hopefully they will make it a few more weeks. A very big lesson learned in all this; Arkansas summer is not the time to be trying to raise Cornish X. I had already decided to get dual purpose breeds for meat from now on; but this makes it official; never again.

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Oh man, that's brutal. Well lesson learned, I guess. But it sure wasn't a way you wanted to learn it. Hopefully this will help someone else.

3. nanawendy

nanawendy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Bellingham Wa
    So sorry for your terrible homecoming. You deserve a long cool bath (or shower...) [​IMG]

4. MKingsolver

MKingsolver Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2011
    Rainy Western WA
    I can't even imagine what you went through, I'm so sorry. Thanks for sharing your story, hopefully your hard lesson learned will help someone else out.

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Oh, my God! So glad you were at least able to salvage some of that mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by