11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My fertility has been 100% until now. My bantam isn't fertile anymore, but I do have a bantam Brahma with her now.
I finally cut my roosters bum feathers I don't think the ladies are too fluffy they have a little butt fluff but not a lot. I noticed that I was getting more fertiles the last few sets of eggs I set from home. Not sure if it was my bum trimming job or if it is jus the time of year when they are more fertile. I had heard that they tend to be fertile once the sun starts coming back in spring until the heat of the summer then it slacks off again.

I can confirm as of last night that I have just one egg developing out of all my EHAL eggs. :hmm One blood ring, but the rest are just clear. I guess it's just too early for my boys.

The silkied Cochin eggs will be going into lockdown tonight, so hopefully I'll have a few babies to keep a single Easter chick company should it make it to hatch. :fl

Hmm, interesting. I'd always heard the opposite, that chickens, like other birds, had superior eyesight.

BUT, if this is the case, more than likely it's not caused by candling, but by HEAT LAMPS and other continuously lighting brooder heaters. This is a major soapbox topic for me, so it's hard for me to resist going on a rant about it, but suffice it to say that the impacts of continuous lighting on growing chicks have been studied for decades and the consensus is, no surprise, that it's not healthy for them to have 24/7 constant lighting while their bodies are developing when the presence of light and photoperiodism is what triggers many of their hormonal releases. :duc

Nice! I'll second the question about the bulb wattage. Also wondering how hot it gets while it's running? Thanks for the pictures! :)
I too am a firm believer in brooder plates!

Mottled bantam cochins
20200330_114359.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom