11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all, I candled my eggs last night and the other day was accurate. I have 2 incubators going at 2 different houses. I candled the ones at my house. I set 22 eggs. 6 didn’t do anything. 3 I’m not sure. I took those 9 out. I may have a couple early quitters. These were all my eggs. None shipped.
Here are my questions...
Can you tell if these eggs are fertile? (I’ll post pics)
When I cracked them open, 9 yolks were intact 3 seemed more like scrambled eggs right out of the shell.
Is there any information for the future to gather from this. I had hoped for better % with my own eggs.
Could they have been too old? I don’t remember when I started gathering them. Thanks for any help. By the way, there are 5 hens and 1 rooster.
F631B486-0509-41EF-828C-3F9C392721B6.jpeg
707804A9-DCB7-4851-A174-4D59293A72C0.jpeg
BAB893CC-2930-4474-BB2E-A80899267628.jpeg

Hey all, I candled my eggs last night and the other day was accurate. I have 2 incubators going at 2 different houses. I candled the ones at my house. I set 22 eggs. 6 didn’t do anything. 3 I’m not sure. I took those 9 out. I may have a couple early quitters. These were all my eggs. None shipped.
Here are my questions...
Can you tell if these eggs are fertile? (I’ll post pics)
When I cracked them open, 9 yolks were intact 3 seemed more like scrambled eggs right out of the shell.
Is there any information for the future to gather from this. I had hoped for better % with my own eggs.
Could they have been too old? I don’t remember when I started gathering them. Thanks for any help. By the way, there are 5 hens and 1 rooster.
View attachment 2076201View attachment 2076202View attachment 2076203
I have read conflicting information about this. Some say that shipping will make them seem like they are infertile-- usually from sellers that ship and do not want to admit that some of the eggs are not fertilized.

Most of the time, if you see eggs like yours-- and of the ones I see an ovum in-- have no development, they are not fertilized. The yolk will not change but the ovum will develop until development stops. If more that a couple of days, you will see veins.

It does not look like theses egg were fertilized

I have read conflicting information about this. Some say that shipping will make them seem like they are infertile-- usually from sellers that ship and do not want to admit that some of the eggs are not fertilized.

Most of the time, if you see eggs like yours-- and of the ones I see an ovum in-- have no development, they are not fertilized. The yolk will not change but the ovum will develop until development stops. If more that a couple of days, you will see veins.

It does not look like theses egg were fertilized
So is the ratio of 5 hens to 1 rooster too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom