11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you haven't already, I would put in a box, upside down, with a front and back door (for circulation). It can be a little cave for them. They can huddle together in there and keep one another warm. Put them all in so they get the idea. When you want them to go to bed you can put them in and *loosely* drape it with a towel, t-shirt, or similar. Make sure they can still get out, but make it nice and cozy for them and hide the exit slightly so they feel safer.

I hope your power comes back on soon! :fl

Aw thank you both! Fortunately the everything came back on about 2 hours later, and the ducklings were just snuggled up like nothing happened.

We had a pretty good hatch this year! One building had 15 of 18 hatch. The other building had 15 of 19 hatch. 30 Total. Keep our Seniors in your Prayers.. Thank You.. Phil

Attachments

• IMG_3114.JPG
    IMG_3114.JPG
    470.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Photo 2020-04-13 09.19.23 AM.jpg
    Photo 2020-04-13 09.19.23 AM.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Our two chicks are doing wonderfully. I now wonder about this egg, no pip, no tapping or chirping, day 23. Both of the others hatched on Day 21, one closer to the end of day 20 and the other about 15 hours later. Do you think it has any chance? I've read and re-read the assist article. I feel confident to try that if needed. I'm just not sure what I'm seeing here in the candling pictures. It doesn't appear to me that there is drawdown on the air cell.

View attachment 2087437
View attachment 2087438
View attachment 2087439
I don't know... it looks to me like it's alive in your pics. I see red veins. It just doesn't have that static, "dead" look to it. Does it seem to move at all on its own? Of course it's hard to tell in a photo, but it just kind of looks a day or two out, yet. Not ready to hatch. Could it have been sitting in a cooler part of the incubator?

You could give it a couple of days, but even if you do, it's likely it will have problems or end up dead-in-shell. Or you may end up having to cull it. I would probably give it a chance, but I would honestly expect to be forced to cull. And would be surprised if it did not come to that. Still, you never know.

Thanks so much for the replies. Through the morning I slooooowwly cut a tiny then larger pip, then waited. Later I enlarged the pip in the air cell, everything below the air cell looked VERY wet. Waited then did a tiny pip through the membrane I could see the beak but no movement lots of liquid. Later still I slowly opened up more membrane, I think it was getting there but not done and yes no life. As for the olive eggs I kept the whole while, hoping without seeing a thing, they were just eggs, nothing more! Reading a lot I found it interesting that older hens can have eggs with more problems, we had quite low fertility 22 eggs were set, and the blue egg that didn't make it all that way was from a 4 year old hen. Just 2 chicks for us :jumpy :jumpy ! They are quite lovely though. I'm in two minds, keep just the two and give them tons of attention or try to find a couple more friends for them, female chicks, so I'll know I have at most two roos. Haha.

Now to learn how to clean this nice incubator. I plan to set again in May to match up with June chicks we have on order. I'll probably do just Polish eggs as they are among the youngest in our flock at age 2. I expect either way we'll have better fertility setting in May than we did setting in March when the girls had barely started laying again. I've enjoyed being part of the hatchalong!

Oh the keets will be sold as soon as my next batch of chicken eggs hatch. I have 20 that are due a week from today. I know about the chicken crazy guineas. I had one cock last year that I had to sell because he was really rape-y with my chickens even when I had the guineas free ranging and the chickens penned up. I sold him for $15.
You should have made him take the Black and go the the Wall (game of thrones reference)!

Yes, start a thread in the emergencies forum.

It looks like it needs a splint. The sooner the better
So sorry I didn’t see this quote until now
I put splints and a rubber band with tape rapped around the center of it to make little loops and I put that on the chick.
after a couple hours I took the splints off and she was doing WAY better 😊
I kept the rubberband loop thing on her legs for the night and I woke up to her walking the right way and standing the right way just wobbly. I’m going to keep it on for today and check on her.
she is able to move around the brooder easily to get to cooler places if needed.
She is doing great and I’m super glad this worked
Thank you everyone and all your babies are sooooooo cute :jumpy:jumpy:jumpy:love:love

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom