11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My hatch is finished, I won't be joining in anymore hatch alongs now as I'm not hatching any more eggs. I may try some of my own button quail eggs later on in the year tho so we will see. Out of my eggs I have 6 little ones zooming about. These were left over eggs from my previous hatch (the seller sent me extra) so they were kept in fridge. A bit of an experiment for me but all the eggs I set were fertile and developed a couple didn't make it to the end. But it's a good hatch rate considering! I have my favourite from this batch too 😍, I hope it's a hen 😬
:wee

Still waiting on some silver pheasant eggs. I set 4 Guinea eggs and none were fertile. 5 silver pheasant in an incubator and 9 Serama eggs under two hens. A rat or something was picking off the Serama eggs that I had under a Sebright hen. so, I put the last egg in the incubator. That one hatched Friday. Another Serama hatched under a Serama hen on Friday, but the weather was very bad and two hens were arguing over the eggs and the little tyke ended up out of the nest and died. Didn't trust them after that, so the next egg that was pipping, I put in the incubator with the one that had hatched in the incubator. It hatched Saturday. Yesterday, their last egg was pipping so I slipped it in my pocket while I was finishing feeding and by the time I got back in the house, he was hatched. :)
One pheasant hatched today and the others are deciding to stay in their egg shells longer. 4 more to go.
So three Seramas total and so far one pheasant.

As a bonus, a golden necked d'Uccle hen somehow hid an egg from me and that little guy hatched Friday. I've left him with the flock and his momma is taking great care of him. Even with the rain and mud.
I bet they are very cute looking. And nice ong the hidden egg!

We've given up on the last egg and decided to clean out the incubator and prepare for another batch in a few weeks. So that means I'm ready to report my numbers.
(Who do I report these too? Am I supposed to not talk about numbers yet? Eh.. I'm going to say anyway. :p)
I started with 15 eggs, all were fertile. 1 was an early quitter. 10 hatched, 1 of those was assisted. 4 eggs developed all the way but died before hatching, 3 of which never pipped.
So 10/15 gives me a hatch rate of about 66.67% for my first hatch. I don't think that's too bad, all ten who did hatch are thriving and I was absolutely thrilled to have any hatch after the 30 hours spent without power.
I think I learned a lot from this. I'm excited to spend time with my new chickies, they're very clingy. They start calling loudly when left alone for a while but when we go check on them they calm right down and are just fine. I still gotta check on them each time just in case, but I think they just like the attention.
Send a pm to @casportpony

The one that was zipping on my last post hatched shortly after I posted. Just checked again and I now have 4 chicks plus 4 pipped. One of the ones still pipped is the one that pipped at the wrong end.
Keep an eye on that one. Make sure there is nothing oozing out to block the pip hole

So, out if the 12 Cream Crested Legbar eggs that I set, all of them were fertile and made it to lockdown. Unfortunately, 3 of the chicks never internally pipped, and they died. One externally pipped and then it died. So my total for this hatch was 8/12. 5 of them are females and 3 are males. They are absolutely adorable! They are going to their new homes tomorrow.
4BD25362-19BE-4B11-92F1-B82CDB0CF1AC.jpeg
0A7746AC-3CB1-4803-861F-ADA9C38A6772.jpeg
96C2363F-C245-449F-9101-64400044F198.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom