11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My eggs were too early to be counted in this year's HAL, but I'd like to share my newest additions to help all those in need of a quick chick fix before your own eggs hatch.

So far I only have 2 out. Both are lav orps.

#1 played turtle
IMG_2647 (2).JPG

#2 has BIG feet
IMG_2670 (3).JPG
I hope you entered those in the hatching chick contest!
Contest #8: Hatching Chick

Precisely what I was thinking. It’s similar to the garden idea. Whole lot of work for maybe a chance for a tomato or two. And water isn’t cheap. Very thankful for our farmers.

My husband and I don't usually put in a garden....the closest we usually get is putting in 8-12 rows of sweet corn for a 200 yard swath in one of our corn pivots or same with green beans in a soybean pivot. He did bring up the strip till rig on the big tractor and put in 12 rows about 20 feet long once so the kids could do a garden with grandpa (grandpa's idea).....and I ended up doing most of the work and all of the clean up. Hubby wants to put a garden in this year because of the virus. If it isn't as big and I don't have to work with FIL and do everything his way, it won't be so bad. Besides, I can feed whatever we don't eat to the chickens. :)

Edit to add: That big garden we did with FIL was more than us, my in laws, and our hired hand could keep up with!

I hope you entered those in the hatching chick contest!
Contest #8: Hatching Chick
Yes. I'm on page 6. :thumbsup

My son & I made a hatching photo collage last year. Too much editing to enter in the contest but remains one of my favs.

Tip: We taped a black cloth inside the incubator at lockdown and put the egg on top. Black is easiest color to fade one photo into the other and looks professional.
5x7.jpg

Day 7 for my first hatch group. Candled my Copper Marans (5 viable and the rest I couldn't quite tell so leaving them in until day 10 or 14) and Bielefelders (5 viable, 1 blood ring-removed, and the rest I couldn't quite tell so leaving them in until day 10 or 14). I also re-candled the Appenzellar eggs. The 6 that were viable at day 4 have all grown. The other 7 that were questionable (with the detached air sacks and the cracked egg)....out of the 6 that had detached air cells - 5 were clear and 1 had a blood ring....and the cracked one.....it it viable! I am wondering if it will present wrong as the veining is centered under the air cell and growing down toward the tip - can't really see the chick as it is right under the air cell. I also set the Silkie eggs today. One of those had a dark spot in it when I did the preliminary candle before putting it in the incubator. Not sure what to think of it (no veining). I will candle the Sapphire Gem eggs on Saturday.

Sounds about right 😅
Though to be fair, having a project or something to look forward does wonders when you're stuck at home.
Hey, I just planted some actual seeds for the first time in many, many years, so...

To be fair to myself, I've been planning this for quite a while. We built a greenhouse last fall and I bought the seeds, etc. around Christmas. All the same... lucky me. I just hope I don't regret not getting a heater for the greenhouse. 🤷‍♀️ We have a super short growing season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom