11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
My embryonic duckies are lookin' good. I did pitch six over days 7-9. They were the same that had nothing after 24 hours. Why do I keep on keeping them in there? 🤷‍♀️ Actually, pretty darn good considering how far they travelled to get to me. Holderread says the waterfowl eggs tend to travel better than other poultry.

My embryonic duckies are lookin' good. I did pitch six over days 7-9. They were the same that had nothing after 24 hours. Why do I keep on keeping them in there? 🤷‍♀️ Actually, pretty darn good considering how far they travelled to get to me. Holderread says the waterfowl eggs tend to travel better than other poultry.
I've never heard that about waterfowl. After many shipped chicken eggs my first hand experiences say that smaller eggs ship better. Bantams, silkies and such.

That extra week is what's killing me! First time with ducks after a couple years hatching chicks. I keep feeling like they should be lockeddown and hatching already :lau Patience is not my strong suit.
coturnix quail hatch faster and start laying eggs in 6 to 8 weeks...They are very little eggs though!

Looking ahead to lockdown, I have some questions about the Incuview incubator...

The incubator manual says to leave the turning tray in for hatching. Is it better to leave it in or take it out?

Do I leave the vent open, or close it during lockdown?

I read on a BYC thread to put shelf liner in the bottom of the incubator for hatching. Has anyone tried this? Is it a good idea?

Thanks for the help!

coturnix quail hatch faster and start laying eggs in 6 to 8 weeks...They are very little eggs though!

I’m getting myself some of the of those next 😉
I’ve never had them, but I’m going to try working on the celadon gene because my family said I’m not allowed to get any more chickens, so sadly no fancy laying Ameraucana or EE’s for me. My selling points were quails mature faster, and take up less space... I’m compromising 😂

Looking ahead to lockdown, I have some questions about the Incuview incubator...

The incubator manual says to leave the turning tray in for hatching. Is it better to leave it in or take it out?

Do I leave the vent open, or close it during lockdown?

I read on a BYC thread to put shelf liner in the bottom of the incubator for hatching. Has anyone tried this? Is it a good idea?

Thanks for the help!
When they start to externally pip, I take the trays out and put them on their sides. I like to put the eggs up against each other because the movement of the other eggs hatching helps & encourages the others to hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom