11th Annual Easter Hatch a Long 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a scissor beak splash Ameraucana. The grandkids love her. We call her fiskars. She is separate from the other Ameraucanas because I don’t know if the scissor beak is genetic or an injury. I just trim her beak periodically.

I love that name for a scissor beak chicken!! That's so cute!

Baby's first real photo shoot. 😍 This little squirt has the stink-eye down pat already!!

indignant peeppeep.jpg
profile.jpg
a helping hand.jpg
close up.jpg

"No more pictures!!" :oops:

no more pictures.jpg

Day 20.....still waiting on pips. Have not touched the eggs since they went into the hatcher and do not plan to unless they go late. I have more eggs to go into the hatcher on Wednesday/Thursday. Really hoping they get with it here soon! In the meantime, I candled the eggs from my chickens that I just set last Thursday (day 4 for them) and I have 3 that I am pretty sure are clear and 9 that are fertile and growing!

I’m probably going to completely butcher this description, but I believe scissor beak is caused by the structure of the skull not being correct (due to incorrect incubation, vitamin deficiency of the parent flock, shipped eggs, frozen eggs, or random fluke) so as the skull plates grow it will continue to move and get worse until the chicken is done growing.

Nothing I have tried has ever worked to make it better, however some chickens do live quite normal lives with their deformity, with a bit of extra care on their owners part.
The one I had had odd bone shapes in the spine too.

It is most likely genetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom