12-13 eggs fertile YAY!

monarc23

Coturnix Obsessed
11 Years
Jul 18, 2008
Indiana, Pennsylvania
My second attempt at hatching chicken eggs, this time with my own modified incubator! Out of a dozen eggs (edited: i mean out of TWO dozen eggs he he), 13 are developing, they're on day 5. All the eggs that weren't fertile on candling, I cracked each one opened and I was right they werent developing, so all I have in the incubator is 12 positively fertile eggs, and the double yolker (rir) that I'm not sure if it's fertile or not, so I'm waiting a few more days to see.
smile.png

The one egg I was actually able to see the little squiggle of a chick (I didnt look at it long enough to watch a heartbeat but I could deffinatly see that what I was looking at was the developing chick)! It was really facinating! I've been so used to candling hard to see quail eggs (speckled eggs) and have never seen the chick this early on if at all so this was fun.
smile.png

I also got a small flock (1 roo 4 hens) of Golden Comets. They were supposed to be RIR, but upon picking them up it was obvious they weren't RIRs. Very pretty bunch of birds though! I hope they are still laying....they are 2 years old so ...er...we'll see i guess...whatcha guys think? The lady I got them off of said they were still laying when she had them but since she didnt even know their breed.....
idunno.gif

Heres the flock.....Golden Comets right???
IMG_5814.jpg

IMG_5811.jpg

IMG_5833.jpg

^ The poor roo has frost bite on his waddles or whatever they're called and some on his crown...and his spurrs are rediculously long, he can't even walk normally. Not to mention they are all utterly terrified of humans. The roo when I had to catch him to put him in for the night screamed so dramatically when I caught him that it sounded like I caught a dinosaur...*hard to explain what i mean but it didnt sound like a normal chicken cry lol* Had all the dogs in the neighborhood barking.

My eggs in the bator are all Golden Comet chicks (from RIR x WLH so they'll be sex-linked) except three which are RIR (one of which is the double yolker that im unsure right now if it's fertile).

I know it's rare for people to say this, but i HOPE that one of the RIR eggs hatches and I get a Roo from it. Since thats what i thougth I was getting today was a flock of RIRs. Then I'm going to get some White leghorns and barred rock hens so I can breed for sex links.
ya.gif

ANYWHOO....that was my day today, and i'm so excited about the eggs! Putting more Sex-links in the bator on saturday....and will put whatever the golden comets outside give me (even though I know they wont be sexlink...im curious what the chicks will look like anyhow....) IF they are still laying that is. THEN on the 10th getting some white silkie hatching eggs!
big_smile.png

ya.gif

Last edited:
Aha! I see your edit now! I was gonna be a smart alick and say that you had magical eggs to get 13 fertile out of 1 dozen!
lau.gif
Yippee!!
ya.gif
I hope they all hatch!
fl.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
hehe luckily I normally re-read over my posts after I post em, and I caught that really fast hehe!

I hope they all do too the more the merrier
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom