12.5 week old bantam cochin, pullet or roo?

Pullets that are one day shy of 16 weeks. A pullet should not (I say should because it can happen) have that much color before 20+ weeks. They should never have wattles that developed at 12.5 weeks.
View attachment 2318108

You have a cockerel.
Love your mottled one. We’ve been trying to get another mottled but the one we had in the last batch died at a few days old

Ugh, sorry they are sideways. This one has more comb and wattle size and color than its partridge-colored counterpart, but no crowing, and way less comb and wattle than our previous black BC roo did at the same age. What’s your verdict?
Hmmm I think it could go either way honestly, I had a Brochin Bantam (BrahmaxCochin) and at the same age he looked like this
2230CF80-AF6A-4103-80F6-482C0A692655.jpeg
8F454AE2-F4C2-48B5-8970-65DF89088BEF.jpeg
the comb and waddle growth on your leads me to believe roo, however yours doesn’t seem to have any decoration yet. I would keep an eye and “him” and check his hackle feathers and see if he’s getting any pointy feathers. We also have a Cochin Bantam hen who looks kinda similar, but we didn’t raise her from a chick like we did the roo, we only got her recently. So idk what she’s looked like at 12 weeks.

I feel like this one could go either way. He/she has a big comb and wattles for 12.5 weeks, but I feel like he/she would have more if it were a cockerel. I think I'm leaning towards cockerel for now, but it could still be a girl.

I feel like this one could go either way. He/she has a big comb and wattles for 12.5 weeks, but I feel like he/she would have more if it were a cockerel. I think I'm leaning towards cockerel for now, but it could still be a girl.
One thing is for sure, It's definitely a chicken! (Well that's something, anyways) :confused:

Back
Top Bottom