Buff Orpington Roo?

tviss711

Chirping
Apr 12, 2024
Hello, I am new to BYC and fairly new to chicken owning (this is our second year.)

This year, I bought chicks from TSC, which I did not do with our original 4 girls. I purchased two speckled Sussex and two buff Orpington. So anyway, they are about 4 weeks old now and growing quickly as always. One of the orpingtons is noticeably bigger than her sister of the same breed. I know they are a large breed, but it is quite noticeable. Her comb is also larger, and a little pinker than her sister, and the wattles are starting to come in and are brighter. They were NOT straight run, I was assured they were pullets but I know that isn’t always perfect. I also know it is a little early to tell, but I am wondering what your thoughts are?

Depending on the temperament, if it was a roo, I wouldn’t mind keeping him if he proved to be a gentleman… but we only have 7 hens and I don’t know if that is quite enough hens to keep a roo? I have included some pictures to show size difference as well as comb differences. In the first pic, the bird in question is on the right, followed by a closeup of the known pullet for comb & wattle comparison, and last two are closeups of the potential roo. I know it’s early… but she just seems so big! :idunno

Attachments

• IMG_9020.jpeg
    IMG_9020.jpeg
    517.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_4648.jpeg
    IMG_4648.jpeg
    282.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_4644.jpeg
    IMG_4644.jpeg
    362.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4651.jpeg
    IMG_4651.jpeg
    288.8 KB · Views: 29
Hello, I am new to BYC and fairly new to chicken owning (this is our second year.)

This year, I bought chicks from TSC, which I did not do with our original 4 girls. I purchased two speckled Sussex and two buff Orpington. So anyway, they are about 4 weeks old now and growing quickly as always. One of the orpingtons is noticeably bigger than her sister of the same breed. I know they are a large breed, but it is quite noticeable. Her comb is also larger, and a little pinker than her sister, and the wattles are starting to come in and are brighter. They were NOT straight run, I was assured they were pullets but I know that isn’t always perfect. I also know it is a little early to tell, but I am wondering what your thoughts are?

Depending on the temperament, if it was a roo, I wouldn’t mind keeping him if he proved to be a gentleman… but we only have 7 hens and I don’t know if that is quite enough hens to keep a roo? I have included some pictures to show size difference as well as comb differences. In the first pic, the bird in question is on the right, followed by a closeup of the known pullet for comb & wattle comparison, and last two are closeups of the potential roo. I know it’s early… but she just seems so big! :idunno
7 hens is definitely enough for one single rooster. The comb looks quite big for that age if it keeps growing you'll be able to tell at like 8 weeks. If I remember I will come back to see a update 😊

This is mine two days shy of 8 weeks. Supposed to be a pullet and I am hoping so!! Any thoughts on this one? Is it okay for me to ask here? Lavender Orpington and very sweet. IMG_2948.jpeg

Thanks!!! Good to hear that!
Yes, it’s likely a pullet…. My “pullet’s” comb is twice the size of yours, bright pink, and he’s only 5 weeks. We’ve accepted our fate, and love our little cockerel anyhow. 😆 Here’s a picture from earlier this week. He’s even bigger today. You can see how large his comb is and how pink the wattles are, at a much earlier age than your pullet. I think you’re safe
IMG_4700.jpeg

Yes, it’s likely a pullet…. My “pullet’s” comb is twice the size of yours, bright pink, and he’s only 5 weeks. We’ve accepted our fate, and love our little cockerel anyhow. 😆 Here’s a picture from earlier this week. He’s even bigger today. You can see how large his comb is and how pink the wattles are, at a much earlier age than your pullet. I think you’re safe
View attachment 3805240
Handsome boy. Are you keeping him?

Back
Top Bottom