Delawares and mystery buffs

Thorn_shrike

Chirping
Dec 28, 2023
Winchester KY
Hi! I have four babies that I want to play hen or roo with :)

Two Delawares, at LEAST 9 weeks old but I don’t know for sure how much older than that they might be. I think they were at least a week old when I got those two. The two buffs are 8 weeks old.

So idk what the buffs are, they were in the buff Orpington pen and the rural king employee that grabbed them did not let me pick or see which ones he got. If I had seen them I would have known they were not orpingtons,neither has a single comb. One has a pea comb with just one center row I think, so pullet? The other has a completely flat comb except for one bump looking thing at the top. I think that one might be a chantecler, those were also being sold at rural king at that time.

Attachments

• IMG_3140.jpeg
    IMG_3140.jpeg
    537.1 KB · Views: 29
So idk what the buffs are, they were in the buff Orpington pen and the rural king employee that grabbed them did not let me pick or see which ones he got. If I had seen them I would have known they were not orpingtons,neither has a single comb. One has a pea comb with just one center row I think, so pullet? The other has a completely flat comb except for one bump looking thing at the top. I think that one might be a chantecler, those were also being sold at rural king at that time.

Probably both Buffs are Chanteclers.

Due to how the comb genetics work, it is possible for some Chanteclers to produce chicks with pea combs, even when the parents have the correct cushion combs. (It involves the same genes that let some rose comb Wyandottes produce single comb chicks.)

If one of the Buffs grows up to lay blue or green eggs, then of course she would be an Easter Egger and absolutely not a Chantecler. It is definitely possible for an Easter Egger to be Buff with a pea comb, but it is not very common.

The buffs could be buff Chanticlers. Hoover's Hatchery offers them and that is the source of chicks for most places that sell chicks. Chanticlers are a good dual purpose breed laying brown eggs.
I was really leaning towards Chantecler also, their faces, eyes, body shape and feathering looks just like all the chantecler pics I’ve seen. What’s your opinion on pullet vs roo on them at this age?

Probably both Buffs are Chanteclers.

Due to how the comb genetics work, it is possible for some Chanteclers to produce chicks with pea combs, even when the parents have the correct cushion combs. (It involves the same genes that let some rose comb Wyandottes produce single comb chicks.)

If one of the Buffs grows up to lay blue or green eggs, then of course she would be an Easter Egger and absolutely not a Chantecler. It is definitely possible for an Easter Egger to be Buff with a pea comb, but it is not very common.
I agree, they don’t seem like Easter eggers to me, at least not currently.also no earmuffs on either one

I agree, they don’t seem like Easter eggers to me, at least not currently.also no earmuffs on either one
There are some Easter Eggers with no muffs.

I don't seriously think they are Easter Eggers, just pointing out that "no muffs" is not proof of "not Easter Egger."

Back
Top Bottom