12 hour old duckling laying on back gasping.

LondonChicken

Chirping
May 9, 2020
Eastern Kentucky
I hope someone can help me. I just had 6 Cayugas hatch over the last 2 days and the last one took a long time to get out once he externally pipped. He finally worked himself out (after about 12 hours of externally pipping/zipping) and has since been extremely frail. Unlike the others, he just lays there occasionally lifting his head. Last night he managed to sort of crawl around a little bit. This morning I awoke to see him on his back and when I pick him up he seems like he was gasping for every breath. He just lays there with his eyes closed.

Is there anything we can do to help him? He didn't seem interested in water or food so I really do not know what to do except put him back into the brooder. (92 degrees)

Thank you!

Last edited:
From my limited experience, when I have had similar behavior from poults and chicks, there is not much you can do and the bird will likely die. If a newly hatched/just arrived in mail chick won't eat or drink by itself, then it will die. You could try hand-feeding it an egg yolk +water/electrolyte water mix, but that is no guarantee either. It should still have egg yolk from its egg in its gut for a three or four days after hatching, so water is more important than food for a newly hatched bird. I brought a layer chick back from the brink with hand feeding but it was already a week or two old at the time. When I have tried to hand nurse new chicks/poults, the problem is that the bird won't swallow. The liquid ends up getting inhaled and this just makes it worse. In which case you need a tube and a syringe so that you can pump the nourishment directly into the crop.
Again, I don't have much experience, so I hope that others can offer better advice. But I would say tube and syringe is the only option if you want to try to save the duckling. But also don't feel bad if it does die. Not every bird makes it.

Remember, it's only 12 hours old. They don't need food or drink for at least 24 hours, and hatching is hard work! Give it a bit more time.
That's what we're hoping! He's just pooped! =) I just wanted to make sure that I am not missing any opportunity to help. My wife is so upset about this little one.

Back
Top Bottom