12 hours into hatch and only one chick

Good idea. I had discussed doing that with my niece. I'll definitely give it a try now. Thanks.
I'm using a Brinsea. The display always said 99.5, but after checking with a Spot Check, I got temps from 97.9-99.9, with an average of 99.0. It was also always cooler toward the back, like AmyLynn said about cool spots, so now every time I add water, I turn the egg tray 180 degrees. I was amazed at how much better my hatch went after those minor adjustments

I'm using a Brinsea. The display always said 99.5, but after checking with a Spot Check, I got temps from 97.9-99.9, with an average of 99.0. It was also always cooler toward the back, like AmyLynn said about cool spots, so now every time I add water, I turn the egg tray 180 degrees. I was amazed at how much better my hatch went after those minor adjustments

Never thought of turning the trays. Makes so much sense I'm a little embarrassed. Thanks!

Never thought of turning the trays. Makes so much sense I'm a little embarrassed. Thanks!
Don't be embarassed, it was my fourth run before I figured it out
wink.png

I have a little giant, the older model with the element that runs in "circle/square" around the top, and I started turning my top so the heating elements would hit all four sides during the day...lol (one side was running warmer than the other.) But it didn't help the center which was cooler, so I tried keeping my eggs to the outside under the heating elements and adjusted my temps to the outside instead of the center. (Which, with them being directly under the heating element could have contributed to them actually starting to hatch on day 19 versus day 20 as I expected.)

I'm going to start the tray turning as soon as the current batch is finished hatching. I've got a Dickey cabinet incubator with the hatcher on the bottom. I'm betting that turning the trays will help.

I'm going to start the tray turning as soon as the current batch is finished hatching. I've got a Dickey cabinet incubator with the hatcher on the bottom. I'm betting that turning the trays will help.
Probably will. Rotating the center eggs to the outside and vice a versa will also even out temp differences in the middle.

We've got a dozen eggs in the incubator and yesterday afternoon th first one popped out, one day early. Alas, it's 12 hours in and she's still the only one. I turned down the temp to ~98 degrees to make it more comfortable for her. Should I crank it back up to encourage the others to pip their way out? Should I move her to the brooder even though she'll be alone? Any other suggestions? Thank you!!

How did the hatch go VivaLaChicks?

Thanks for the good advice, all, and thanks for asking about the hatch TitanPaul! Our hatch seems to be rather protracted. First chick was born a full 24 hours before any others peeped. She's strong and healthy, but has splayed legs and so I am trying the bandaid therapy, except using vet tape. We had the second one hatch last night and a third this morning, plus three more are peeping. I had some issues keeping the temperature stable in our incubator, and I suspect that is why we are having such a variable hatch. One more question for y'all: if a chick has peeped but discontinued activity, do you give up at a certain point? Should I try assisting before abounding hope? If so, how long after its peeped should I intervene?

Thanks for the good advice, all, and thanks for asking about the hatch TitanPaul! Our hatch seems to be rather protracted. First chick was born a full 24 hours before any others peeped. She's strong and healthy, but has splayed legs and so I am trying the bandaid therapy, except using vet tape. We had the second one hatch last night and a third this morning, plus three more are peeping. I had some issues keeping the temperature stable in our incubator, and I suspect that is why we are having such a variable hatch. One more question for y'all: if a chick has peeped but discontinued activity, do you give up at a certain point? Should I try assisting before abounding hope? If so, how long after its peeped should I intervene?
I would not intervine until at least 12 hours and only if it seemed to be in trouble. Most of mine average more like 15. If it's been that long, I just remove some shell around the pip and check to make sure they are ok and I moisten the membrane to see how far along the veins are. If they are pretty much absorbed then I MIGHT help a bit. If not then I figure that's why they haven't hatched-cause they aren't ready and I pt a damp towel around them and put them back. If you play chicks chirping sounds (I use youtube) at the bator if usually motivates them.

If you play chicks chirping sounds (I use youtube) at the bator if usually motivates them.
You are most definitely a Democrat.
lau.gif

Just kidding, I couldn't resist. That actually sounds like a pretty good idea. That's why I leave the chicks in, to encourage the others.
Helping chicks is a personal preference. Some do, some don't. I did a few times, but more often than not it doesn't end well. If a chick is still working, I will give it more time in the incubator, but I never help them any more

Back
Top Bottom