12-week Light Brahmas, Pullets?

Sk8inChick(en)

Songster
11 Years
May 12, 2011
Hi there!

I know I've posted pictures of them on here twice before, but these are my first chickens and I really want to know if I have a roo.

What is everyone's opinion? One really looks like a pullet to me, but the other one I'm not as sure about. She has slightly redder waddles and slightly bumpier a comb than the other. The way she stands makes me a little nervous, as well.

Here are some pictures of our pullets.
fl.gif
Please let me know what you think! :)

Thank you in advance!

This is what her comb looks like

This is the comb on the other one, who we think is a pullet.

Here her face looks a little bit redder to me.

Her posture has me a little nervous, also.

The chicken in question is the one in the back here.

Your opinions are appreciated! Thank you!

Last edited:
Brahma roos can sneak up on you. I would not be surprised if the one in back on the last photo was a cockerel.

Oh no! That would not be good. I can't have roosters where I live, so if that were the case, I'd have to re-home it.

Can I ask what makes you think "she" might be a cockerel? I'm just interested in learning more about telling pullet from cockerel. :)

Mostly the stance of the rear bird in the last photo. Also, the "expression"--that bird has a grumpy, hawk-like look that I tend to associate with brahma roos. It easily could be a pullet that was watching a fly.

I've had brahmas where we were left guessing until the saddle feathers came in (or didn't). I once had a group where the roo was the LAST one to have his combs and wattles turn red. Meanwhile, with my current brahmas, the roo was obvious from the start.

Mostly the stance of the rear bird in the last photo. Also, the "expression"--that bird has a grumpy, hawk-like look that I tend to associate with brahma roos. It easily could be a pullet that was watching a fly.

I've had brahmas where we were left guessing until the saddle feathers came in (or didn't). I once had a group where the roo was the LAST one to have his combs and wattles turn red. Meanwhile, with my current brahmas, the roo was obvious from the start.

Hmm. That's true, "she" almost always has that look. The other one has such a sweet expression, I wonder if it is just her beak coloring?

I'm also not sure how to recognize saddle feathers. Will they be evident if they come in? It seems like I've read that they curl up and over the other tail feathers?

Thank you so much! You've been so helpful!

Right now they both look like pullets. The one in question doesn't have that much redder or larger of a comb than the other -- just ever so slightly, which is normal for a 12 week old.

As far as saddle feathers, I believe at 12 weeks cockerels already have them. They are found on the bird's back, at the base of the tail. They will be thin and pointed and shiny, and will curve downward.

Back
Top Bottom