12 Week Old Chick--not developing at same rate, and unable to walk for last 7-10 days

msbien

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 29, 2008
I have eight 12 week old Swedish Flower hens and one is clearly not developing at the same rate. The others have big red combs and wattles, and she barely has a tan comb. She is much smaller too. She also has not been able to walk for the last 7-10 days. I have had her separated for the last week, but when I give her a chance to walk around she is unable to support herself and falls. She does sometimes sit up on her haunches.

She has a good appetite and is drinking too.

I have read everything on this board about Mareks's because of her paralysis, but it is not one sided, and I guess I don't want to believe that is what it could be. Would I also see the lack of physical development with Marek's?

I have given her vitamins for over a week, and haven't seen any improvement. Also, I don't see an injury that I can identify. I also gave her Wazine, in case she had worms. I'm not sure what to think, and I certainly would appreciate any advice you might have for me.

The first photo below is her, and the second is of two others who are clearly more developed.

Thank you!

Last edited:
Does anyone have thoughts on this? I would really appreciate any advice you have.

Thanks very much!

Last edited:
I had a chick that I hatched this summer that at approx 6 weeks of age began with leg weakness. He would walk a few steps and sit. He ate well, no change in poop....nothing but lower extremity weakness that progressed to where he mostly just sat. This slowly progressed over 3 weeks and I considered culling him. The next 2 days I noted him on a low roost. He slowly got better over 2 weeks and now runs all over the place with the group. You would never know he had it. I have no clue what it was. It went away. None of the other 5 chicks had anything like it. I never even separated them. I figured they had already been exposed. I don't vaccinate my chickens for anything either. Was it viral and worked its course??? As long as nothing else is greatly wrong...it may still recoop. I gave mine extra protein...smashed hard boiled eggs/ yougert...etc. Wish I could help more. Hang in there, and cull if it is suffering. Lynn Marie

I also agree on waiting to see what happens. Sometimes they just snap out of it. I wish I had more helpful advice but I have never had this problem. Was she walking fine before this? Did you check the bottoms of her feet for any signs of bumblefoot? Are the vitamins polyvisol?
Hopefully you will get a few more responses.

Good luck and let us know what happens, I myself would not cull, but that is my opinion.
Marie

Thank you so much for your input. I did give her some time and she has made a full recovery. She must have had a leg injury of some kind. She's getting around just fine now, but she is very spoiled! Haha

Thank you so much for your input. I did give her some time and she has made a full recovery. She must have had a leg injury of some kind. She's getting around just fine now, but she is very spoiled! Haha
Thanks so much for the up-date. I am glad you gave it some time. I have a Leghorn that has very thick legs and cannot get around well. I will just let her live out her life with me, whatever that leads to. I think that sometimes people are a little too eager to cull. IMHO

I love happy endings!
wee.gif

Marie

Back
Top Bottom