12 week old chicks

Ziphie

Chirping
Apr 24, 2017
I currently have 11 twelve week old chicks I am trying to sex, no pictures atm. Mostly I'm wondering would comb development give them away by this age, as far as I can see no one is really showing any signs yet, or should I look more for other characteristics with these particular breeds

Dark Brahma
Blue Ameraucana
Partridge Olive Egger
Black Jersey Giant
Silver Laced Polish
Golden Laced Polish
White Crested Black Polish

I also have 4 silkies but given they can be tough to sex I am waiting on those for a few more weeks.

At twelve weeks old, any cockerels would have significantly more comb and wattle development than any pullets. Male specific feathering would also be coming in.
Dark Brahmas, Blues (of any breed), and Partridge (any breed) should be easy to sex at that age by coloration. Dark Brahmas and partridge variety males look noticeably different from females. Males have solid black chests with white or red (respective of base color) shoulder patches. Females have fairly uniform patterning across the whole body.
Blues have similar variations between the sexes. Males have darker shoulder, neck, and back feathers. Females are more uniformly colored.
Polish are more difficult to sex, often taking a while to develop male feathering and the crests make seeing comb development difficult.

Back
Top Bottom