When will my girls start laying?

Gloria112

In the Brooder
May 5, 2024
Johannesburg South Africa
I have five 29-week old Black Australorp hens and still no sign of an egg from any of them! They have been on layers pellets since 23 weeks and appear happy and healthy. I am starting to wonder if the breeder wasn't honest about heir date of birth, but I don't know how to age them. Here is a picture of them 3 days ago. What can I do to kickstart things?

(PS I live in Johannesburg South Africa)

Attachments

• 1000063155.jpg
    1000063155.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 98
  • 1000063155.jpg
    1000063155.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 25
What can I do to kickstart things?

As long as they are healthy and getting good quality food, they will lay when they are ready. You can't hurry it.

One thing to look for is when a hen squats in front of you. It is a very obvious behavior. She is indicating that she is about ready to go and will start laying in a week or so.

Watching their combs and wattles is the most reliable way to tell when they're ready. The comb and wattles will turn bright red. So yours aren't ready yet. Don't rely on squatting though - some hens will never squat for a human, even when they've actively been laying for years. A lot of mine don't. Also some breeds just start laying later. Like heritage breeds (including Australorp). My Orpingtons tend to start after 30 weeks, some as late as 37 weeks, especially if winter gets in the way and they delay until the following spring.

Watching their combs and wattles is the most reliable way to tell when they're ready. The comb and wattles will turn bright red. So yours aren't ready yet. Don't rely on squatting though - some hens will never squat for a human, even when they've actively been laying for years. A lot of mine don't. Also some breeds just start laying later. Like heritage breeds (including Australorp). My Orpingtons tend to start after 30 weeks, some as late as 37 weeks, especially if winter gets in the way and they delay until the following spring.
Thanks for this info. It gives me hope! Based on the size of their wattles, do they look like they're 29 weeks? I am wondering if the breeder got the date of birth wrong... I really hope we don't have to wait another 8 weeks but I guess it is what it is!

As long as they are healthy and getting good quality food, they will lay when they are ready. You can't hurry it.

One thing to look for is when a hen squats in front of you. It is a very obvious behavior. She is indicating that she is about ready to go and will start laying in a week or so.
Thanks TooCheep - I haven't seen any squatting behavior at all so I guess we're a few weeks out

Back
Top Bottom