12 week old EE hen or rooster? :(

Ya, roosters are always a worry around young children, especially toddlers. A lot of us do seem to have survived nasty roosters as kids, where were all the nice roos. Four hens is probably not going to be enough for a roo, since he is a pet, if you decide to keep him and not get more hens you could make a bachelor type set up for him and only let him out with the hens occasionally and when the kids aren't around. If you try to rehome him, your state thread is a good place to post in for local homes https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread and the BST forum has a section for animals in need of free rehoming (you can post an ad there after you have 20 posts). Craigslist, your local farm store bulletin board (or some farm stores will actually take birds) and local 4-H type clubs are other places to check if someone wants a flock roo or project bird.

I've had two roosters; one who did very well with only a few ladies but the other who needed a lot more. It really depends on the individual rooster and the recommendation of a 1:10 ratio is an average...not necessarily a must. If you give him the chance to stay, you will learn quickly whether he's alright with the 4 girls you have or whether he needs more and his chances of being respectful of you and your children will be greater if you all continue to handle him and don't accept his adolescent challenges which will certainly turn into adult challenges or attacks if he knows he can get away with it.

I currently have a 4 month old cockerel who has maintained a very healthy respect thus far but made the mistake of getting too close to my dog for my comfort (the dog was beside me, sound asleep in the grass and completely oblivious to what was going on) so I glared at said cockerel and jabbed my index finger in his direction, which to him would be like being told to back off by a more dominant bird. He ran in the other direction and hasn't gotten that close to the dog since. He's a bit of a late bloomer and only just beginning to approach anyone but I will certainly cull him if I feel he's become a danger to anyone.

Please keep in mind that your cockerel's fate is out of your hands the moment you give him up so be sure you're alright with whatever may happen to him if that's what you choose to do.

Last edited:
Island girl is totally right - once a rooster leaves, there are no guarantees that he will not be dinner, not be used for unscrupulous purposes etc. - no matter what the taker tells you.

You all are so very helpful! Thank you so much!

I am completely sad about the whole situation. I love that silly bird, we have raised him since a chick. I am sure this happens all the time, with sexed chicks, and I'm sure most end up on the table. It kills me to even think of that since he is our pet. I will definitely check into those options, very helpful!

Also, is it too early to tell his temperament? Will that totally change when he reaches maturity? Right now he's a sad excuse for a Roo, lol. He doesn't really even hang with the girls he's always off by himself, gentle, let's us hold him and my small kids, ect..

You all are so very helpful! Thank you so much!

I am completely sad about the whole situation. I love that silly bird, we have raised him since a chick. I am sure this happens all the time, with sexed chicks, and I'm sure most end up on the table. It kills me to even think of that since he is our pet. I will definitely check into those options, very helpful!

Also, is it too early to tell his temperament? Will that totally change when he reaches maturity? Right now he's a sad excuse for a Roo, lol. He doesn't really even hang with the girls he's always off by himself, gentle, let's us hold him and my small kids, ect..

If he's healthy, that just may be his personality. I'm dealing with my first cockerel. My other roosters were fully grown when I got them. My first one, who did well with just 3 girls was very sweet and respectful. He didn't like to be held but he would follow me all over the place and come to the door every morning to get me so I could let the girls out of the barn and any time he'd hear me coming home, he'd run and meet me in the drive. I was heartbroken when I lost him.

My second rooster was nothing like my first and although non-aggressive towards me and the girls, he was afraid of everything and he didn't want the girls anywhere near me (which was unacceptable by them and me). I culled him because he became a liability to their safety when he had their stress levels so high they completely stopped laying and he was chasing them out into traffic to keep them away from me.

My cockerel is going through what I'm hoping is just a spastic adolescent phase that he will grow out of. I used to be able to hold him but now I can't get anywhere near him as he's afraid of me. He's constantly challenging my pullet who is just a few days younger than him (though she never backs down) and the rest of my girls chase him down and peck him when he gets too obnoxious.

All three of the boys were/are EE's. They are a mixed breed to begin with so there's no way to even give you a general idea of what their mature personalities will be like...it all depends on what was thrown into the mix. If I were you, I would keep him as long as he remains non-aggressive.

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC!

You will find a lot of good information here. Keep on asking questions and you will get many good answers.

You may also want to read the FAQ below.

Back
Top Bottom