12 week old fighting?

kaileenfoster

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2016
I have 10 Wyandottes and they all fight/ size each other up and chase and peck at each other! Is this normal? Or should I be concerned? I noticed my silver laced and blue laced reds are picking on the gold laced ones (I have 3 golds) really bad! They won't give them a break! What should I do? Should I separate the golds? Or separate all of them but color or breed? Thank you!

Even at this age, it's the pecking order. If you separate them now it will make eventual integration even more difficult. As long as they are not drawing blood or causing physical injury, I would let them work things out.

Even at this age, it's the pecking order.  If you separate them now it will make eventual integration even more difficult.  As long as they are not drawing blood or causing physical injury, I would let them work things out.

Okay, that makes sense..thank you

Okay, that makes sense..thank you

I just checked on them and they have drawn blood on one of the gold laced.. What should I do? They really don't like these gold ones.. They target just them.. I know the pecking order but it seems like they are just being bullies to them, especially this one..

How are you keeping them. Wyandotte don't do well is smaller set ups. Make sure there's room for them to get away from each other and that there is things to do like foraging. Some more information on how you are keeping them can help. It isn't normal behavior for them to attack each other.

How are you keeping them. Wyandotte don't do well is smaller set ups. Make sure there's room for them to get away from each other and that there is things to do like foraging. Some more information on how you are keeping them can help. It isn't normal behavior for them to attack each other.

I keep them in a 8ft x 4 foot coop and they free rang out fenced in back yard, I have two big feeders and waters.. I do have a hutch the some get into, I noticed the gold laced ones get into that to get away but it seems when they try to eat or drink they ALL gang up on them

Are these all hens or are there roosters involved. Your set up does sound adequate. You may have to put a fence up and separate out the golds until you figure out why they are doing it.

Last edited:
Are these all hens or are there roosters involved. Your set up does sound adequate. You may have to put a fence up and separate out the goods until you figure out why they are doing it.

I honestly don't know.. I got them as straight run. I know Wyandottes are hard to sex, but in pretty sure I have all hens

Back
Top Bottom