1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

12 week old golden laced wyandotte... genders?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by campclaus, Jul 1, 2012.

1. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Awwww pooh! Now I think I see saddle feathers in the last photo... I have a glw at home and will photo her and post after 5 today k?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. BigECarter

BigECarter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2012
    Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Actually it's Erica. Big E because I often sign off on brief emails, notes, and such with a capital E. I love Carter as a last name. So much easier than my maiden name (Christianson) - nobody asks how to spell Carter. ;)

- E

3. campclaus

campclaus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Any other thoughts on the sex of these guys?

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Ok no photo..sorry but I stared at my glw when I got home...that last photo you postedIm saying roo now...those feathers are very thin saddle feathers coming in;( sorry

5. chickletteSarge

chickletteSarge Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2012
    houston, tx

Thats what i saw. That and my. Pullet is more of a darker color that my cockrel. He has more coloration in his feathering. Though they are SLW's.my cochins are golden laced and those look simular in color. The only way we tell them apart is by their tails!

6. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    They all look like pullets to me. When I've had laced Wyandotte cockerels, they have a different pattern on the wings.

Edited to add a picture of my blue laced red wyandotte cockerels at about the same age as your golden laced. I realize they're different TYPES of wyandottes, but I can't find my GLW cockerel pictures.

[​IMG]

See how the wings show more of a solid color and a little less lacing? That got more dramatic the older he got.
    [​IMG]

I wish I could remember how old he was in this picture, but he's only about 4 months old now, so he couldn't be too much older than yours.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  7. campclaus

campclaus Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Thanks for everyone's responses. With bird 2 I was wondering if he was a cockerel with the feathers that appear to be saddle feathers and also the way he carries his tail. However I have also read in another posting that his lacing would be to perfect to be a male.. So I still don't really know for sure! We'll hold off on our dinner plans until we hear a crow or she lays an egg!
    Thanks again for everyone's thoughts!

8. mnrneuspeed

mnrneuspeed New Egg

Jul 3, 2012
    Here's a picture of my Golden Laced Wyandotte. I swear I think "she" is a "he". Won't know for certain for maybe another month when I hear it singing. This one was born the first of May 2012. I feel really safe in saying that this bird is on top of the pecking order in my little flock. It chases the others, and even tries to peck me.

[​IMG]

9. Sphinx

Sphinx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    Utah
    The angle of that last chicken is too tough to determine gender. But, my experience with wyandottes is they're very slow to crow. The wyandottes I hatched in February (so 5 months old now) still aren't crowing.

10. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY

That is a HE!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by