12 week old nose running? What could be the cause?

goldeneggtees

Fluffy Butt Nut
10 Years
Mar 11, 2009
Long Island, NY
Hi, I have 8 12 week old buff orpington chicks/pullets now around 12 weeks old. I have posted before about them sneezing but all else seemed fine. They still sneeze at least a few times a day each. Today when I got home, I noticed one of their noses looked wet. Now I am worried about them. They all seemed to be panting tonight in their coop. It has been very rainy here in the northeast but not hot, a little humid.

They are not vaccinated. They are on grower feed and I give them the occasional treat, sometimes grapes and this morning, oatmeal, a little honey mixed in with yogurt and their feed. And also sometimes scratch mixed with grit.

They were out all day today but I don't think it rained on them. Their coop has decent ventilation, and was just cleaned yesterday with fresh pine shavings.

Any advice on what might be going on?

Quote:
Do you think it could be MG? That would really be horrible! I got them from an Agway about an hour away from my house and have been very careful in raising them and love them very much. It would be so heartbreaking if they were indeed sick with an infectious disease. The hatchery and the store would be totally to blame in my opinion.
sad.png
They should all have better procedures in place to avoid any illnesses that they can catch. After reading this forum every day since even thinking about getting chickens, it's very disheartening knowing that even though I tried to be so very careful with my decisions that I could have ended up with sick birds and now may have to face the possibility that they could be sick and may not survive.
hmm.png
My kids so love them and so do I. I don't want them to die. Hmmmmm, I am such a nervous nellie to begin with, why did I provide another worry? I hope they'll be alright. They are funny, amusing and very sweet animals, if not somewhat silly pets.

Quote:
It sure sounds like it's really common, but it doesn't matter how common it may be if birds get sick and die from it. I wish I had known more about it before getting the chicks. Hopefully, the one with the runny nose is better this morning.

Back
Top Bottom