12 week old Silkie STILL only peeps and cheeps!

laurenmc40

In the Brooder
Mar 9, 2024
I have 6 young 3 month old chickens that I got within a week of one another. 3 of them are white Silkies of yet to be determined sex. The smallest of these (it has only recently caught up in size) still only peeps and cheeps like a chick! All of my other chickens make adorable chicken clucks and coos and have long since stopped peeping. I even have a young rooster practicing his crowing. But not Chickadee Wormsquirtch. Is this normal or is my chicken broken? 🤣. Thoughts and musings welcome!

Chickadee is the one in the middle. This photo was taken about a month ago.

Attachments

• PXL_20240426_202713273.jpg
    PXL_20240426_202713273.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 21
I had a salmon faverolle roo like this, but he had a rough hatch out. My toddler daughter had gotten into the incubator on hatch day and squished the egg. Somehow it survived, but was always behind in growth, and I’m pretty sure he was mentally stunted (think Hay-Hay in Moana). Seriously, there was nothing behind those eyes. Also, he could never find his way back to the coop.

Anyways, he never ever crowed, and even at 25 weeks he sounded like a baby chick peeping. He was also half the size he was supposed to be. I would have loved to see him grow out more and see if he ever started acting right, but we ended up losing him in a drowning incident (like I said, imagine Hay-Hay always trying to walk off the raft).

Your chick may eventually catch up and start sounding like the others. Or you may just have one of the special ones.

I had a salmon faverolle roo like this, but he had a rough hatch out. My toddler daughter had gotten into the incubator on hatch day and squished the egg. Somehow it survived, but was always behind in growth, and I’m pretty sure he was mentally stunted (think Hay-Hay in Moana). Seriously, there was nothing behind those eyes. Also, he could never find his way back to the coop.

Anyways, he never ever crowed, and even at 25 weeks he sounded like a baby chick peeping. He was also half the size he was supposed to be. I would have loved to see him grow out more and see if he ever started acting right, but we ended up losing him in a drowning incident (like I said, imagine Hay-Hay always trying to walk off the raft).

Your chick may eventually catch up and start sounding like the others. Or you may just have one of the special ones.
Thanks for your insight! This one is strangely one of the fastest chickens and is usually first to any kind of food (behind my piggy buff Orpington hen), so he seems to be not as dumb as some of my other Silkies, but he is somewhat stunted. He's also my only Tractor Supply Silkie...🤔

Thanks for your insight! This one is strangely one of the fastest chickens and is usually first to any kind of food (behind my piggy buff Orpington hen), so he seems to be not as dumb as some of my other Silkies, but he is somewhat stunted. He's also my only Tractor Supply Silkie...🤔
Oh, a tractor supply chick. Then it could just be that chicks genetics.

As long as it’s eating, drinking and remaining in good spirits then it should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom