12 week old spraddle legs & panting issue

broiler chick of 12 week old she was doing find all of a suddenly she encountered with coccidiosis then she have walking difficulties ND sit down completely
In spraddle position
Her scales are bit harsh red & swallon
She having some breathing issues so she had a full course of Baytril 10% in drinking water for 7 days but her issue didn't resolving as yet
Sorry about the chick.
I agree with @Eggcessive it could be a leg deformity or since this is a broiler, the legs are just not able to support her any more.
Does she note any bloat to the abdomen? Broilers can be prone to have develop Ascites which can cause difficulty breathing.

IF the Baytril is not making the respiratory distress better, then I'm not sure what else can be tried.

So sorry. Some broilers can be kept as pets and live a couple of years if their diet is closely monitored and they have exercise, but most have difficulties once they reach and exceed butchering age. These birds were not bred to live a long time.

Just my 2¢

Sorry about the chick.
I agree with @Eggcessive it could be a leg deformity or since this is a broiler, the legs are just not able to support her any more.
Does she note any bloat to the abdomen? Broilers can be prone to have develop Ascites which can cause difficulty breathing.

IF the Baytril is not making the respiratory distress better, then I'm not sure what else can be tried.

So sorry. Some broilers can be kept as pets and live a couple of years if their diet is closely monitored and they have exercise, but most have difficulties once they reach and exceed butchering age. These birds were not bred to live a long time.

Just my 2¢

I was thinking about rickets first so I suggest D3 she was very stunt so when I recommend multi-vitamins she start devloping a bit

Oh really do u think 12 week of age can be water belly ?

If there is a calcium defeciency such as in rickets, it may help, but I am not an expert. Calcium, phosporus, vitamin D3, and manganese, plus heredity especially in the parents can have a real effect on bones. Here is a link about mineral and vitamin deficiencies:
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/vitamin-deficiencies-in-poultry

https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...ement-poultry/mineral-deficiencies-in-poultry

Totally getting it fingers crossed
Thank you for giving ur time :hugs

Oh no I'll let her know about that
That may not be what it is, but something to look at and feel the chick for. If there is fluid in the belly, then likely she should be able to feel that.

It could be rickets or a number of things. Sometimes it's a process of eliminating conditions/disease and studying symptoms.

Sadly, sometimes there is not a lot that can be done but to offer supportive care, monitor the bird and if it declines further, put it out of it's misery.

Hello everyone! Thank you so much Saaniya for starting this thread!

I felt around Tooki's belly and I don't really think it is bloated or watery anywhere. But then again I could be wrong since I am not an expert.

I am just sending details of what I am feeding her in case I should alter something for her:

Seed mix of:

1 cup Pearl Millet (Bajra)
1/2 cup Corn
1/2 cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 cup Sesame Seeds
1/2 cup Sunflower Seeds

I have started this mix today. Before I did not have pumpkin seeds and found them today and added to their mix.

Along with this I am also gicing her 1-2 scrambled eggs daily and vitamins daily as recommended by Saaniya. She has had weight and height gain since I started these two on a daily basis. Even her legs have thickened.

I also give my girls sprouts occasionally since they are very rich in proteins and feed my girls cooked lentils with rice or Roti (Indian Flatbread made with wheat and water).

Back
Top Bottom