12 weeks and finally trying to crow

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Grass, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Grass

Grass Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Salem,Ohio
    My 12 week old RIR is finally trying to crow and it's sickening ...the other one hasn't tried yet but thisone is starting to get a start at it and it's sickening sounding

2. petlove

petlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2008
    Skiatook, OK
    They sound rather ill in the begining, don't they? My black australorp roo has been trying to crow for about 3 weeks now. The crow hasn't changed much. I'll be happy if it stays like this so I won't have to get rid of him. What does a full grown RIR roo sound like? I wonder if different breeds have different crowing sounds. Congrats on the crowing. He is a big boy now. [​IMG]

3. normajean

normajean Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Howell, MI
    I have quite a few that are sounding like they are choking on something...aged anywhere from 5 to 12 weeks.
    I love it!

4. Mac Momma

Mac Momma Crabgrass Queen

Apr 27, 2008
    North Georgia
    I have a RIR that is about 25 weeks and he hasn't even tried. Does that mean I will continue to have a quiet morning cup of coffee, or is he holding out on me? [​IMG]

I even let him stay with some friends while we were gone (separated of course) who have a big boisterous rooster, hoping he could glean from the BIG ONE as to what to do, but nope nada nothing!

5. vwoods

vwoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    Spotsylvania, Virginia
    You guys are funny. I have a black australorp roo who just started last week before we went on vacation.. He is around 11 weeks They do indeed sound sick. Makes me laugh. Maybe when we get back home tomorrow he will sound better. Actually my husband is home now, think I will call him and ask him how wonder boy sounds! Have a great day.

6. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I heard one of my Dominiques today and they are 4 1/2 weeks old.

7. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    I recorded my young roo and used it as my phone ringer. Oh so sad.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    My RIR 12 weeks tried to crow and he sounded like a duck. I had to look at him twice to make sure he was a chicken. [​IMG]

9. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Because we are master chick sexers (not) we ended up with three RIR roos. They are 12wks today and they aren't even trying. Lazy bunch of underachievers.

I've even stood out there with them and crowed at them. The neighbors love me-who needs tv when you can go out in the backyard and watch your fat neighbor crow at her chickens? If they only knew that I sometimes pee out there to try to keep the skunks and coons away [​IMG]

10. pookiethebear

pookiethebear Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Mine are 12 weeks also, we ended up with 4 roos out of the first 6 chicks..... They are starting to get their crow on but sould really silly. I will go out there and crow and say sing it with my boys! They just look at me funny. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by