12 wk mutts- sex?

Mrs. K

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Nov 12, 2009
western South Dakota
I have 9 twelve wk chicks. I was told that a blue or blue/green feathers is a roo. I have those, but I have these four that I am unsure of, and want your opinion.
This one looks like a hen to me, but has the most wattle and comb of any of the 9.
IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_0209.jpg
same brown hen

IMG_0210.jpg

IMG_0202.jpg

This one I am almost sure hatched out of a green egg, and has green legs
IMG_0197.jpg

tell me what you think

Last edited:
The white one is a hen. The others are lacking important parts in the photos...legs, tail etc. Try to include these in your pictures. People will tend to guess more.

That is kind of what I thought.

Anything with a blue or blue/green feather is a male too, right. Dang I think I am 3 hens and 6 roos! Oh well. mk

Mrs. K :

That is kind of what I thought.

Anything with a blue or blue/green feather is a male too, right. Dang I think I am 3 hens and 6 roos! Oh well. mk

No, not necessarily. My black pure Amereaucana girls have blue/green sheen to them, and they are most definitely hens! (1 is raising chicks right now) For BR's they are easy to tell by coloring in the barring. Males are more white with black barring and females are more black with white barring.

Here's a picture of my hatchery BR female:
IMG_2926.jpg

My Black Australorp hen has a lot of green sheen in her feathers. And her daughter, who looks like a BA but is crossed with my SLW roo, has a gorgeous purple sheen!

The sickle feathers in a rooster's tail will have the pretty, shiny green feathers once he is older. I think that's what you're thinking of, Mrs. K.

When in doubt, wait for a crow!
old.gif

Mrs. K :

This one I am almost sure hatched out of a green egg, and has green legs
IMG_0197.jpg

tell me what you think

Can you get a side shot of this one, including the tail feathers. What a cute EE!​

The barred rock is a boy for sure I have 2 barred rock roos and he looks like mine did at 12 weeks. The white ones comb and wattles are awfully red for a girl but I dont know for sure. Has anyone crowed? my BRs crowed at 8 weeks. I have a barnyard mix that is 6 weeks and started crowing this week.

I don't have any body crowing yet. Now that I have figured out how to post the pictures, will try again. I see that I did not post the other BR, that is much darker, and looks like your female. I will also try and get muff a sideways post. mk

Back
Top Bottom