12ish day old chick with full thickness leg injury*warning slightly graphic pic

Jammons

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2019
Just noticed that one of our new chicks was limping. Upon further inspection she has a badly swollen foot with a circumferential full thickness wound on its leg. There is nothing in there cage that could have tangled or scratched it. We pulled her out and soaked the leg and foot in some water with an antibiotic tablet crushed up in it, we didn’t have any Epsom salts. We put some type of chicken salve in it that came in a first aid kit and wrapped it lightly with Coban and duct tape. Should we keep her separated?Any ideas on the possible prognosis for this chick? Or what else might need to be done?

Attachments

• 678E75B5-72B8-471B-87D8-509E83EBCEB3.jpeg
    678E75B5-72B8-471B-87D8-509E83EBCEB3.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 28
  • 3A4C8E09-8FDD-4918-8DF3-9DF5E4EE6330.jpeg
    3A4C8E09-8FDD-4918-8DF3-9DF5E4EE6330.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 26
Welcome to BYC, sorry your chick was injured. :hugs
My turkey hen had a very similar injury and she healed, though there were a couple of times in thought I would have to euthanize her. :( total time to heal was probably 8 weeks.

As for treatment, I think what you're doing is fine. I would just keep an eye open for infection.

Welcome to BYC, sorry your chick was injured. :hugs
My turkey hen had a very similar injury and she healed, though there were a couple of times in thought I would have to euthanize her. :( total time to heal was probably 8 weeks.

As for treatment, I think what you're doing is fine. I would just keep an eye open for infection.
Will do! Thanks for the feedback!

Duct tape should never be used to bandage any wound. It is not porous and you are likely to get infection under it, and it irritates the skin as well. You can use bandage tape to vet wrap instead. You can get vet wrap at pet stores or many feed stores, and bandage tape at any pharmacy. Good luck with the chick.

Duct tape should never be used to bandage any wound. It is not porous and you are likely to get infection under it, and it irritates the skin as well. You can use bandage tape to vet wrap instead. You can get vet wrap at pet stores or many feed stores, and bandage tape at any pharmacy. Good luck with the chick.
They have some actually at like family dollar too or any pharmacy

Got it, the tape was only used to secure the co-ban which is like vetwrap I think, the tape is not being used as an occlusive dressing type material...just grabbed what we had on hand to keep the chick from pulling it off. Will change out tomorrow when we evaluate the wound.

Back
Top Bottom