12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’re 3 days old. We made them shoes and one is significantly improved but the other not so much. I feel bad for them bc they can’t move around as well as they’re siblings. I’m not sure I made their shoes correctly? How do I keep their legs more together? I’ve never had this problem before so I feel so unqualified here lol.
You can Band-Aid their legs together, or use a hair band.

Acctualy i was very neverus and there are not any pips so I quick Candle eggs .. so 4 are for sure quitters dont know why i dont notice that earlyer, and other 4 are doing fine i still se some veins and good air sac, veins are hardly to see but i saw it. Good Night 🤞
I just hope one more Will hatch so my chiks dont stay alone 😔🙏

They’re 3 days old. We made them shoes and one is significantly improved but the other not so much. I feel bad for them bc they can’t move around as well as they’re siblings. I’m not sure I made their shoes correctly? How do I keep their legs more together? I’ve never had this problem before so I feel so unqualified here lol.

I use a band aid and cut the gauze out and then sandwich the toes between the two sticky side pieces. My little silkies get around pretty well in these band aid boots as they are pretty light. It's really important to get the toes staying as straight as possible in the boot, it takes me a little bit to get them stuck on the band aid just right even with the help of my husband. If I do this within the first 48 hours it usually doesn't take more than a day or two for the toes to stay straight. If they aren't straight within 2 days of putting on the boots I change them and go for another couple days before checking again.

If the legs are splayed and not staying together I cut a band aid in half lengthwise and use that as a brace.

One word of caution with the splay leg brace. If a chick gets knocked over it can be difficult for them to get up again so make sure the water has something like marbles in it so the chick can't submerge itself. I had a really close call last fall with a chick who got knocked into the water that had a brace on.

Trying to get a decent pic of saddled air cell egg but these chubby chicks keep photobombing. This is as good as it gets 😆:
20210407_200649.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom