12th Annual BYC Easter Hatch-Along

Status
Not open for further replies.
My update so far...
Out of 25 eggs we still have 23 going into lockdown. Got our first pip last night on day 20. Woke up this morning to 5 more pips! 🐣

Attachments

• 6624353F-435D-4F78-80F6-D1410A6419BF.jpeg
    6624353F-435D-4F78-80F6-D1410A6419BF.jpeg
    273.1 KB · Views: 2
Our boy was raised by a broody bantam who isn't that friendly so I didn't think we'd be able to handle him, but once he matured he would come up to us wanting attention. He nibbles us gently, enjoys being patted and he even squats submissively. Even the kids can pick him up (he's not going to be a huge drake but after the previous ones we raised being nasty beasts I don't care - as long as he's a sweetheart). The girls just hassle me for food and nibble me if I'm sitting down.
See I'd much rather have ducks like this than what I've had basically my whole life.
:lol: I am sorry to everyone that is still waiting for the first baby to emerge. It must be awful seeing all the early hatches. :hugs
:lol: I haven't even had a pip yet. It's only day 20, though.

ETA: I take it back. I had to put more water in and checked a few eggs. I have an internal pip. :love Now to do what I should have from the start and get things set so I don't have to open it.

Last edited:
We have another pip -- *edit* on the wrong side of the egg... should we assist? Again, any information you can give is welcome!
Ok. Here's the deal: the chick who pipped on the wrong side of the egg is still breathing, but he hasn't made any progress. When he worked off a piece of shell last night, the shell was wet and seemed to have blood on it. The chick is definitely alive, because a piece of the membrane is flapping in and out like a breathing chick. It's been around 12 hours, and we're starting to worry. Should we assist?

--goldbean's older daughter

Last edited:
Ok. Here's the deal: the chick who pipped on the wrong side of the egg is still breathing, but he hasn't made any progress. When he worked off a piece of shell last night, the shell was wet and seemed to have blood on it. The chick is definitely alive, because a piece of the membrane is flapping in and out like a breathing chick. It's been around 12 hours, and we're starting to worry. Should we assist?

--goldbean's older daughter

No worries, the blood is because it likely pipped a blood vessel because it's upside-down. When you see a pointy end pip it can technically take up to 48 hours (though I've never had one take this long) but longer is expected. Normally a chick will make and internal pip into the air cell and it can take up to 24 hours for you to see the external pip, and then up to an additional 24 hours from external pip to zip. So in the pointed end of the egg they are making the internal and external pip in one go and it's expected to take longer. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom