12x16 Coop Layout Recommendations

3toTeach

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2019
North Texas
I’m in North Texas and getting ready to build a large coop. The 12x16 coop is for my expected chicken math issue, as I started with 4, then 8, then 10 (all with 5 incubating too!). I’m wondering the best way to configure the inside (roosts, nesting boxes, etc.) so I have maximum use of space and ease of cleaning. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

There will eventually be a few attached runs to rotate between, so the earth can have time to heal during ‘range-time.’

*Edited in location.

Last edited:
Can I suggest you visit this thread and scan thru the pix there.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/post-your-chicken-coop-pictures-here.596294/page-1694
Start anywhere ,,,, there are 17,000 posts.
I have a small coop with just a few pets, so any advice would be coming from my imagination. I can offer good advice on specific questions though. Ventilation, windows, roost height, #of nestboxes.
If you did not start on your coop yet, consider building one in the model of a WOODS coop. You will be very satisfied with the concept. I am suggesting this because you are building a large one.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

You should add your location to your profile so everyone knows your general weather, it makes a difference in answers.

I have a 12 x 16 shed that I'm converting 1/2 of it to a coop with the other half for storage. I built a table with a lip to contain the Sweet PDZ and mounted the roost to that. It's 8' x 32" I have some photos around here somewhere... anyway the key things are plenty of draft free ventilation up high, enough roost space, easy to clean and maintain. The roost needs to be higher than the nest box. And last but not least it needs to be predator proof.

Speaking of a Woods coop here is the Prince T Woods book Modern Fresh Air Poultry House. If I was starting from scratch instead of converting an existing building I would build a Woods coop.

JT

I’m building a large coop. The 12x16 coop is for my expected chicken math issue, as I started with 4, then 8, then 10 (all with 5 incubating too!). I’m wondering the best way to configure the inside (roosts, nesting boxes, etc.) so I have maximum use of space and ease of cleaning. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

There will eventually be a few attached runs to rotate between, so the earth can have time to heal during ‘range-time.’
Have you started building this coop yet...or still in the planning stages?
Got drawings?

That much space may lend to a plethora of options....but....
What are your goals in keeping chickens?

How easy it is to 'clean' depends much on how you plan to manage the manure.

My Coop is built in a 16x16 building...wish I could use more of it,
but take a look might give you some ideas.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-3-12_7-49-49.png

Be sure to plan for plenty of air. Not just ventilation, but lots of air flow so that a nice breeze can blow through during our hot Texas summers. Heat is harder on chickens than the cold is. At least our cold anyway.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I’m in North Texas and getting ready to build a large coop. The 12x16 coop is for my expected chicken math issue, as I started with 4, then 8, then 10 (all with 5 incubating too!). I’m wondering the best way to configure the inside (roosts, nesting boxes, etc.) so I have maximum use of space and ease of cleaning. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

*Edited in location.
Here's my 12 x 16 coop. Almost finished.

Attachments

• chicken coop001.jpg
    chicken coop001.jpg
    183.3 KB · Views: 10
  • chicken coop002.jpg
    chicken coop002.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 8
  • chicken coop003.jpg
    chicken coop003.jpg
    263.5 KB · Views: 8
  • chicken coop004.jpg
    chicken coop004.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 11
Looks great :thumbsup .. I'm pretty sure you will have a roof over at least a portion of it.
Cant wait to see you having chickens inside. Post pictures as you progress.

Oh almost forgot,,, :welcome

Back
Top Bottom