13 BBS Orpingtons and 1 BCM Gone...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Majestic Lane Poultry, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Majestic Lane Poultry

Majestic Lane Poultry Heart Strings Animal Rehoming

Feb 9, 2009
    13 BBS Orpingtons and 1 BCM Gone.

When Dave came home from work on Friday, he found 3 splash bodies in our yard. Something, a dog or dogs I think, tore into one of our juvie pens. Ravished the door and the chickens inside. Saturday we found the remains of my favorite black pullet from TOH eggs. And of course my favorite blue cockerel from MissPrissy is still missing.

My free range flock was not bothered. But they remain in hiding - only coming out of the woods when they see me coming. I moved the remaining 5 to other quarters...poor babies.

Here is my count from juvie pen #1:

Bought 13 chicks from Angie - 2 splash remain - 1 cockerel and 1 pullet
    Hatched 9 chicks from Sandy - 3 blues remain - 1 cockerel and 2 pullets
    The BCM that I lost was a pullet larger than the rest of the bcms so she was the only one in that pen. She was from bishopschickens.

This is a first for me. I guess I have been lucky. Still, my heart breaks. 10 bodies are just missing. 4 were played with until they died....

2. hen-thusiast

hen-thusiast Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    Utah
    I'm so sorry for your losses. [​IMG] Sounds like a dog(s) if they were played with until they were dead. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  3. Schultz

Schultz CluckN'Crow Farm

Aug 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

4. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    So sorry for your loss. Definitely sounds like a DOG(S)! and it or they will be probably be back for more "fun & games". How sad.

Had several neighborhood dogs raid my chicken house one early morning years ago when I forgot to close the door and they killed almost all my chickens and guineas.

I didn't have a gun then. [​IMG]

5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Oh Crud! I'm so sorry. [​IMG]

Let me know if and when you want more eggs, I'll keep the boys in the pen longer.

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    ya might be suprised at how many hide out for a few days! Your free rangers may be sounding the all clear, so see how they act the next few days [​IMG]

7. Brindlebtch

Brindlebtch Songster

Apr 15, 2009
    Texas
    How devastating! I am so sorry this happened. Hopefully the ones that are totally gone are are hiding out somewhere.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: