13 dead and found 2 hiding

camaro10

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 1, 2010
Bucksport, Maine
Friday- just before leaving for the holiday weekend we had to deal with the heartbreaking loss of 13 BR's just about 10 weeks old. I had just started letting them out only when we were home. My husband found 4 dead and 9 totally gone and found 2 hiding still alive. We are so devastated. Wonder what got to them during the day. I thought they were safe from predators during the day. The guy we bought chics from had his free range and said it was fine. Now the 2 I have left will not even come out of their coop. I think they are tramatized. I am wondering if I should buy some more BR's around the same age???

probably a hawk...we have tons of hawks and eagles around here and I have mne in a large enclosed run with a top made out of heavy construction mesh. Sorry for your loss!! you shouldn't give up, get yourself some more the other chikens will come around and just be sure that you give them an enclosed pen with a top, too many predators can get at them in a blink of an eye. I wish I could let mine free range but I have way too many large and small predators where I live.

A neighbor or mine here told me that a lot of raptors are feeding babies right now so hunting overtime. She even saw a barred owl in the middle of the day! I was going to let my chicks wander the yard a bit, but I think I'll wait now. Sorry about your loss! Hope you can get your 2 remaining birds some new buddies!

We have barred owls here all the time, but they don't bother the chickens. Our main problem is hawks, and we lost three chickens last week to them. I just wonder, though, to have that many dead at one time, maybe it's a 4-legged predator?

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I know how upsetting it can be to have put that much time and effort into raising birds, only to have them wiped out when your back is turned for what seems like only a moment!

That kind of massacre sounds like either a dog or fox. Winged predators usually only take one at a time. While foxes are mostly active at night, a vixen with a litter might be hunting during the day as well. I have had foxes go on a killing spree in one of my pens; they will kill all they can catch and them cache whatever they can't eat immediately (a useful hunting strategy, but it goes wastefully awry when the amount of "prey" available is a flock of chickens or ducks). One time, I got up to find that the only thing alive in a pen of 19 silkies, was a half-grown chick that was hiding under its mother's body.

Last edited:
Hello, I agree it has to be a Hawk! I watched a redtail here in Connecicut swoop down and grab a full grown Golden Comet Hen. I learned the hard way that you really need to only let adults out with a Rooster. After this happened I went and got a Rooster from a fellow on Backyard Chickens and "Knock on wood" I haven't had any problems since. The Rooster's keep the hens in check and watch the sky while the hens scratch etc. I've seen him scoot them out of harms way. I'm soo sorry to hear about this and my heart goes out to you! Don't give up and keep your flock going. They are so wonderful to have around. Take Care, Beth

If they were "out", I wouldn't overlook the possibility of a fox. Most people believe they're nocturnal, but they are often seen and hunt in the daylight. I don't believe a hawk would take that many in a presumably short period of time, but a fox, or two, could. I'm so sorry for your loss.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It's particularly difficult to lose so many at once, especially when you don't know what happened. We've lost a few to hawks, but never more than one at a time. I think a massacre has to be a neighborhood dog or some other predator we think of a nocturnal.

They are more vulnerable when they are young and I agree that a rooster is a benefit. Our rooster watches and when he see a hawk, or other danger, he gives a warning call and all the hens hide. We've put up some bobble head owls that have been a great deterant to hawks. We paid $30.00 each for 3, but I see they are on sale now for $19.95 each. http://www.yardlover.com/rotating-head-owl-decoy

I agree most times when you lose a bunch at once it's usually not Hawks however, I have seen a family of hawks pick off several in one day. I could be a fox or even a neighborhood dog. In plain english it just sux to lose that many. If you lived closer I would give you some of mine....
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom