13 hens, 2 roosters.

KakawKakaw

In the Brooder
Sep 15, 2020
Hi. I’m new to posting here but I’ve been reading for a while. I have 2 leghorn roosters and 13 hens. They were all hatching 5/20/2020. I had ordered 1 rooster and got 2. One is more aggressive then the other and can be a bit of a jerk to the others. Also tries to grab my wedding ring when I’m hand feeding. I’m wondering if I should get rid of him or the other as I don’t think the ratio is good. Opinions please? Oh, and he successfully mounted one of my hens. They’re barely 4 months old!! Normal at this age?

Hi. I’m new to posting here but I’ve been reading for a while. I have 2 leghorn roosters and 13 hens. They were all hatching 5/20/2020. I had ordered 1 rooster and got 2. One is more aggressive then the other and can be a bit of a jerk to the others. Also tries to grab my wedding ring when I’m hand feeding. I’m wondering if I should get rid of him or the other as I don’t think the ratio is good. Opinions please? Oh, and he successfully mounted one of my hens. They’re barely 4 months old!! Normal at this age?
Yes that is normal, the boys mature more quickly than the girls. If you don't like him then re-homing, or getting rid of him by other means is perfectly fine.

From your description, he could be completely normal, or pretty awful, it's hard to tell. What do you mean by "a bit of a jerk"? When he grabs your ring is it just that it's shiny or is he actually trying to hurt you?

The tamer boy, are his pointy feathers coming in? Is his comb large and red? I'm wondering if maybe he doesn't have enough hormones, or if he's just deferring to the more dominant boy.

Welcome!
One cockerel would be plenty! It's early to be sure who, if either, would be worth keeping.
I don't hand feed my cockerels, rather expect them to respect my space and get out of my way. I call the birds and throw treats on the ground instead. My cockerels are expected to spend their time concentrating on their flockmates, and watching out for possible threats, not interacting with me.
You may choose otherwise, and that's fine, but my advice is to make pets, if you want, with your pullets, and have your cockerels respectful.
At this point, consider reordering your relationship with the boys, and give them a bit more time to develop. If one or both are causing injuries, that's the end for them.
Mary

Yes that is normal, the boys mature more quickly than the girls. If you don't like him then re-homing, or getting rid of him by other means is perfectly fine.

From your description, he could be completely normal, or pretty awful, it's hard to tell. What do you mean by "a bit of a jerk"? When he grabs your ring is it just that it's shiny or is he actually trying to hurt you?

The tamer boy, are his pointy feathers coming in? Is his comb large and red? I'm wondering if maybe he doesn't have enough hormones, or if he's just deferring to the more dominant boy.
Thanks for your reply. It’s hard to tell if he is just being the dominant rooster or if he has a mean streak. I’m not that experienced in rooster behavior. He is very vigilant as to looking after the others but he can get really bossy towards some of the others when food is involved. As far as the other rooster, I can hardly tell them apart by looks, only by crow. They’re both very nice looking roosters.

Thanks for your reply. It’s hard to tell if he is just being the dominant rooster or if he has a mean streak. I’m not that experienced in rooster behavior. He is very vigilant as to looking after the others but he can get really bossy towards some of the others when food is involved. As far as the other rooster, I can hardly tell them apart by looks, only by crow. They’re both very nice looking roosters.
Hmm, well, so long as they're not hurting each other, or you, they can stay together until you decide who you'd rather keep. Sounds like the other guy has enough hormones he shouldn't have a problem fertilizing your eggs.

The better roosters I've had will forgo eating, instead spreading the food out, and calling the girls over. It will probably be a while yet before your boys start doing that though. Probably not until the girls are laying.

Welcome!
One cockerel would be plenty! It's early to be sure who, if either, would be worth keeping.
I don't hand feed my cockerels, rather expect them to respect my space and get out of my way. I call the birds and throw treats on the ground instead. My cockerels are expected to spend their time concentrating on their flockmates, and watching out for possible threats, not interacting with me.
You may choose otherwise, and that's fine, but my advice is to make pets, if you want, with your pullets, and have your cockerels respectful.
At this point, consider reordering your relationship with the boys, and give them a bit more time to develop. If one or both are causing injuries, that's the end for them.
Mary
Thanks Mary. I appreciate your detailed reply. Do you think I need to wait to decide which one to keep or just pick one? Your discription of humanpuoltry relationship sounds just right. I don’t want pet roosters but I want nice respectful roosters. Or a rooster. I was feeding them to get them comfortable enough with me to allow me to pick them up to be able to check them for parasites and such. As it is, can’t handle either rooster and only 1/2 the hens. What is your thought on handling them?

Hmm, well, so long as they're not hurting each other, or you, they can stay together until you decide who you'd rather keep. Sounds like the other guy has enough hormones he shouldn't have a problem fertilizing your eggs.

The better roosters I've had will forgo eating, instead spreading the food out, and calling the girls over. It will probably be a while yet before your boys start doing that though. Probably not until the girls are laying.

Back
Top Bottom