13 Month Old Marans Never Laid An Egg

Here it is between a bantam Easter egger egg and our other Marans' egg. :-D

Just want to say hello from Tallahassee. I'm new at this chicken business and was searching for other locals who are raising chickens also.

Congrats on you Maran laying her first egg. I know how excited you were when you found it!

Just want to say hello from Tallahassee. I'm new at this chicken business and was searching for other locals who are raising chickens also.

Congrats on you Maran laying her first egg. I know how excited you were when you found it!
Hi there!!
frow.gif
Welcome to chicken-hood! It's so much fun :) I started out thinking I would just have 3 or 4 and now I have 34! Make sure you join the Tallahassee backyard poultry group on fb. There's much to be learned... and swaps and such. It's great.

Some birds never lay. It is nothing to do with breeds and isn't genetic, it just happens. You could keep her but you would be feeding a bird that doesn't give you eggs. Or you could consider culling if egg production means a lot to you.

She laid an egg! She laid an egg!

Seriously. It was her first one and very obviously because it was small. The interesting part is that we just built a new set of nest boxes on a different wall of the coop area to add to the ones we had. She was immediately interested in them and spent two days checking them out. Then, today she laid an egg in them! It's like she waited, all these months, for us to build her a "suitable" spot to lay!
lol.png
Crazy chicken!

k so I just went back and read through the whole thread sooooo CONGRATS! Chickens do some WIERD things sometimes?!?!
ya.gif

Another funny thing is that now my other Marans has decided this new nest box pair is THE place to lay, and you can often catch the two chickens side by side in those two boxes, laying their happy dark Marans eggs.

Another funny thing is that now my other Marans has decided this new nest box pair is THE place to lay, and you can often catch the two chickens side by side in those two boxes, laying their happy dark Marans eggs.
Congrats! I was just about to post about my Lav AM who is about the same age and hasnt laid yet....So I am out tomorrow to build a new nest box. "Teapot" is second on the pecking list with our 3rd hen a buff Orphington (6 months old) lowest. I only have one nest box..a bigish one though...and an additional nest box seems like overkill for 3 birds....but yes the silkied AM (boss hen) might be keeping them out of the nest. 3 eggs a day would do just fine for me
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom