13 week old duck limping, holding foot up

sheenersb

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
Utah
Yesterday I thought I saw Blanche limp, but then didn’t see it again. We were away from home all day and this evening I noticed her limping quite a bit. I picked her up and checked the bottom of her feet, they look perfect. No bumble foot or injuries of any kind. Her legs appeared fine, and she didn’t make a sound or try to get away when I inspected her legs. No swelling, no obvious injury.

I just got video of Blanche walking and she is for sure holding her foot up as much as she can. I tried to attach video but it will only allow pics…

I supplemented all of them with niacin as ducklings and they now eat scratch and peck grower crumbles with grubs. I also feed sprouted barley daily and they forage all day. We have a surplus of bugs.

She’s the only one limping, and this is the first I have seen any of them with a leg issue.

Any ideas on what it could be and what I can do?

All 10 sleep together in their home, I’m trying to think if I have anything I could put her and another one in for the night if I need to separate her. Or should she be alone? I feel like she’ll call out to the others all night if she’s entirely alone.

Attachments

• IMG_3276.png
    IMG_3276.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3277.png
    IMG_3277.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3275.png
    IMG_3275.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
She could have strained or sprained it. If they are starting to practice mating, a male may have injured her accidentally. If you can, separate her and another female in a dog crate or small area so that she can rest it. Swim therapy, especially in Epsom salt water may help. You just don’t want her to drink a lot of Epsom salt water.

She could have strained or sprained it. If they are starting to practice mating, a male may have injured her accidentally. If you can, separate her and another female in a dog crate or small area so that she can rest it. Swim therapy, especially in Epsom salt water may help. You just don’t want her to drink a lot of Epsom salt water.
The drakes (Cayugas) are only interested in their own two girls… 🤦🏼‍♀️ they kind of chase the others away and the harlequins don’t swim with the Cayugas or get very close to them at all. So I think maybe a sprain?

I’ll keep her in the pen all day tomorrow and the next day with a friend to rest, and see how she does. Thanks for the tip on the Epsom soaks. I will start those tomorrow AM and see how she does. I can’t think of a way to separate her for tonight.

So far, she’s still limping. Resting a lot. I’ll see if I can find more vets tomorrow that might be able to at least do an x ray. I think it might be the ankle.

@sheenersb How is your duck doing?

Hey Cori,

Blanche is fantastic. We did some Epsom soak baths each day (super fun!) and I gave her extra support with vitamins/electrolytes in her water. Kept her separate as much as I could.

For sure the injury was from a drake breeding her on land (rather than water, and I think she’s too little for him).

Thankfully she is good as gold now!

Back
Top Bottom