13 week old pullet puffing up

cluckingheck

i wanna be a cowboy, baby ( HELL YEAH )
Jun 15, 2020
TyCo, West Virginia
One of my 13 ( almost 14 ) week old leghorn pullet, Mimzy, puffs up at me when I put my hand out in front of her to give her a treat. She’ll flair up & then take the treat very quickly. I’ve never had any of my girls do that — only my leghorn roos — and i was wondering if it was mostly because she was scared or because she’s just being aggressive? They all a pretty flighty, but I was finally able to get all of the leghorn pullets to eat out of my hand just a few days ago. Today was the first time she raised her hackle feathers.

Is it something I’m doing wrong?

She could still be unsure.
Is she at the top of the pecking order?
they are in with 25 week old chickens, so they stick in their own little group of other leghorn pullets ( 3 others; same age ) for the most part. She’s definitely not at the top within the entire flock, but I’m not sure about among the little subgroup. I think she is, though.

Hmmmm...might be a cockerel?
Has comb been that red for long?
i hope not, all the leghorn cockerels i used to have were mean. they’re all officially 14 weeks old today and when the cockerels were this age, they already have pretty developed combs and wattles. but, no, it started getting redder not that long ago.

here’s some more pictures of her(?):
8C6E5F59-FA00-4395-BA38-52713724283F.jpeg

19B11398-C712-451D-AD2C-9FEA87369887.jpeg

Last edited:
I also wonder if it's a late developing cockerel. Hope not! Any pointy hackle feathers?
If it's fear, treats are fine. If aggression, giving a treat for acting aggressive towards you is NOT fine! How about just scattering treats on the ground while you call them? Much more neutral, and still friendly on your part.
I think that hand feeding could lead to hand pecking, not best.
Mary

I also wonder if it's a late developing cockerel. Hope not! Any pointy hackle feathers?
If it's fear, treats are fine. If aggression, giving a treat for acting aggressive towards you is NOT fine! How about just scattering treats on the ground while you call them? Much more neutral, and still friendly on your part.
Mary
I really hope not. the cockerels i did have were already crowing by this time, so hopefully that’s a good sign. I’d be mad if mimzy turns to be a boy, because i paid specifically for pullets. anyways, I’ll have to get ahold of her to look at her hackle feathers. I’m at work now, so I’ll keep you posted

Even if it is a she, they can get 'pecky'.
Peck her back, do not allow any bird to peck at your hands aggressively.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.

Mary
9869FFCD-318F-4FB7-A465-D4604AEDE852.jpeg
DFBED6F8-315E-40F7-8D54-FB9421F17565.jpeg
BA9BC1DC-79CF-42C3-96D7-B2848656DF5A.jpeg

i was able to get ahold of mimzy, so i took a picture of her hackle feathers. to me, they don’t look pointed but I’m also not a chicken expert. hopefully im right and she’s, well, a she. as for behavior, i hope it’s mostly her being scared or a little testy. either way, i’ll definitely try to break her of those habits

Even if it is a she, they can get 'pecky'.
Peck her back, do not allow any bird to peck at your hands aggressively.

Have had this happen several times, mostly with hand fed chicks often as they come of age and get spunky. It's pretty easily curbed with calm and deliberate determination.

I peck them back, on the head or anywhere I can reach, with the tips of thumb and first 2 fingers, as hard and fast as many times as I can before they get away. Well, not hard enough to hurt them, just startle them and let them you mean business. That's what another chicken would do, so they understand that kind of communication.

If that doesn't work after a couple applications, I hold them down to the ground with my hand on their back until they submit....again firmly enough to get the job done but not hurt them....add a few finger pecks and/or tug on the feathers on the back of their neck.
I think mimzy is a she, it didn’t look like her hackle feathers are pointed.
D46677A0-7EEC-465C-98AA-F2C33E49ECB7.jpeg
C4223F3F-127C-4603-AD0C-3FEE885D76EC.jpeg
B07DD1D8-3295-45DD-A8C4-AE3251661D4D.jpeg

as for dealing with her behavior/attitude, ive seen varying opinions on the technique you suggested. do you think it’s the best way to nip this in the bud? it won’t make her mean or more aggressive? or do you really think it’s her being aggressive or more because she’s doing it out of fear?

Back
Top Bottom